Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transpose function without Time Stretching/Activating Flex Time

Hi all

I've been super in love with Logics Transpose function in the audio editor, something about the algorithm beats out nearly any pitch-shifting plugin I can find. Over one of the recent updates, however, that function is now super confusingly linked with flex time in a way where I can no longer figure out how to just shift the pitch without shifting the time (or having Flex Time 'grab' the audio with its markers and hold the timing in place, creating a ton of skittery artifacts).

I live on this transpose function, its been a huge loss not having it handy since the recent updates. Any help here would be hugely appreciated!

Posted on Oct 2, 2019 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 3:24 PM

Time and Pitch Machine has not aged well and to be honest, it wasn't exactly pretty to begin with. Also, it's destructive and a big hassle all in all.

To prevent Regions from stretching when activating Flex, you need to Ctrl-click>Tempo>Remove Original Recording Tempo, then Ctrl-Click>Tempo>Write Tempo To Audio File. Then engage Flex and the Regions will stay put.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2019 3:24 PM in response to yoyoBen

Time and Pitch Machine has not aged well and to be honest, it wasn't exactly pretty to begin with. Also, it's destructive and a big hassle all in all.

To prevent Regions from stretching when activating Flex, you need to Ctrl-click>Tempo>Remove Original Recording Tempo, then Ctrl-Click>Tempo>Write Tempo To Audio File. Then engage Flex and the Regions will stay put.

Oct 14, 2019 10:56 AM in response to Mookie6225

The default is that audio files remember at what tempo they were recorded/bounced. This is also true for other projects, so if you import a guitar that was tracked at 120bpm into your 130bpm project, it will play faster, thus adapting to the project's tempo and playing in sync with the rest of the arrangement. By breaking this link you lose a lot of base functionality.

Transpose function without Time Stretching/Activating Flex Time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.