Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store does not update apps automatically and no badge shown on the icon

hi.

Since the IOS 13 update my apps in AppStore are not getting automatically updated and of no badge is being shown on the App Store icon on the main screen.

iPhone 8

Posted on Oct 3, 2019 12:12 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Oct 4, 2019 6:32 PM in response to myarmando

Hey myarmando,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I understand your apps aren't updating as expected. I definitely want to make sure you're able to have the most updated versions of all your apps without issue. I am happy to provide some information and get you on the path to resolution.

Update apps in iOS 13 has changed just a bit, so I recommend taking a look at the resource below to make sure you have all your settings to your preferences.

Update apps or use automatic downloads

Thanks again, and have a great day!

Oct 4, 2019 7:16 PM in response to sterling r

Hey Sterling r

Thanks for your reply I had my settings as per your instructions already but yesterday my apps did not download not install automatically. And no badge shown on the App Store icon. I reset the settings and put them back correctly again and did a manual update.

Let us wait for the next available Apps update to confirm if it’s now working properly.

Many thanks for your help so far.

Oct 22, 2019 3:52 PM in response to myarmando

I have the same issue on (iPhone XS, iOS 13.1.3)

App Updates is enabled except on cellular. (This setting isn't relevant since it's for new apps installed on other devices)

Never see any badges or notifications when there are updates available, even though all App Store Notifications with Badges are enabled.

Background App Refresh is enabled on Wi-Fi.

Almost always have to manually update to get app updates.

I have sometimes seen apps getting auto-installed but not recently.

Oct 29, 2019 8:54 AM in response to owenw4rd

I figured out how it works now. If App Updates is enabled under Automatic downloads, Apps get installed automatically when the device is charging, locked and on Wi-Fi.

Badging doesn't work anymore on the App Store app, apparently by design.

It seems like badging should still happen if automatic updates is disabled. I'll try disabling app updates and auto-downloads and see what happens.

Oct 29, 2019 2:51 PM in response to owenw4rd

Hi owenw4rd

You are right. If I disable automatic updates and I open the App Store etc and slide down to find updates then the badge shows up on the home screen with the number of updates plus it shows up also on my logo picture in the app. But that defeats the purpose of showing the badge. I wanted the badge to notify me in advance that I have updates waiting (like messages etc) but not to notify me after I already know.

Thanks for your input.

👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

App Store does not update apps automatically and no badge shown on the icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.