Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Podcast App Crashing

Since updating to iOS13 my podcast app crashes every time I try to stream a podcast. Updates to 13.1.1 and 13.1.2 have not fixed the issue.

The only way I have been able to play a podcast is by first downloading an episode, navigating to downloaded episodes, then playing from there.

iPhone XR

Posted on Oct 4, 2019 8:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2019 6:34 AM

I had the same problem but could resolve it easily (after having two weeks frustration).

Just press the Podcasts app for one long second. Now you can choose one of your podcasts. It starts playing.

Go back to your normal screen and you can open the Podcasts app normally. It will not crash anymore (at least on my phone).

80 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2019 6:34 AM in response to eggfight

I had the same problem but could resolve it easily (after having two weeks frustration).

Just press the Podcasts app for one long second. Now you can choose one of your podcasts. It starts playing.

Go back to your normal screen and you can open the Podcasts app normally. It will not crash anymore (at least on my phone).

Dec 9, 2019 9:52 AM in response to eggfight

Yep, I've been having this same issue, amongst others. Today (12/9/2019) was the first day it has crashed repeatedly (5 times and counting). Other than the crashing, the two biggest issues I've had with the app since iOS 13:

1. The app routinely "forgets" all the episodes that have already been downloaded (it shows the "cloud"/download icon by the episode) and takes a minute to remember that they have already been downloaded.
  2. Handoff to HomePod has become shambolic. Half the time, it doesn't keep track of where in the episode I stopped playback on HomePod, but instead resumes on the iPhone from the point I initially handed off to the HomePod.

I suspect it is a memory issue; I think the app is using too much memory, forcing it to page data, or perhaps it is suffering from a buffer overflow bug. Perhaps both.

@Apple, this really shouldn't be a hard fix. Given that it seems to be a widespread problem, why has it not been addressed yet? Wasn't iOS 12+ supposed to be all about stability? Given all the other issues with iOS 13, the company really needs to take a hard look at its QA operations.

Oct 31, 2019 12:23 AM in response to Ipadkiwi

Similar issue but not resolved by above fix. App doesn’t crash but actually seems to lose connection to server and account. All podcast program icons don’t disappear and episodes can’t be accessed. At other times even downloaded episodes are not accessible or volume and other controls are lost. The other day the iPhone X on which I was listening to podcast began to get hot to the touch. None of the podcast app controls would respond and the episode continued to play. Turned the phone off and rebooted. Issue not resolved. With my limited knowledge I would suspect that this is an issue beyond the app and linked to the IOS 13.1.3 and a loss of service connectivity issue. Loses connectivity hardware works really hard to try and achieve connectivity hence over heating. Resolution thoughts?

Nov 15, 2019 6:41 PM in response to BjornSt

As previously stated above the issue continues. One of the work around work. As with other posters App crashes on opening or during operation. App fails to respond when operating with volume and other controls lost. Phone just continues to heat up alarmingly so. When a podcast plays it does so it stutters and a word is skipped. Weird behaviour occurs within the app itself like just randomly returning to main library screen when trying to navigate downloaded section. I could go on and on but I think we get the gist. Apple used to have a reputation for flawless design and extremely robust resilient product and software. Not any more every time an update to IOS occurs I shudder as to what functionality will be lost with the update. Sadly the pod app is the latest in the half baked product releases.

Dec 9, 2019 8:51 AM in response to eggfight

I've also started experiencing this this morning. One of the podcasts I'm subscribed to appears to have messed up its dates and the podcast app went ahead and listed the few hundred episodes since 2013 and I register ~620 unplayed episodes. On top of that, the app keeps crashing so I can't play anything for more than 30s or delete any of the new/old episodes.

Dec 9, 2019 9:02 AM in response to eggfight

Same issue for me, just started crashing today (12/09/19). App will sometimes play a podcast for a minute or two, then shuts down. Sometimes it only play a podcast for a few seconds, then shuts down. I've deleted app and re-installed which did not resolve the crashing. I am thinking of installing another Podcast app at this point.

Dec 9, 2019 9:05 AM in response to eggfight

Same issue here (just updated to 13.2.3 last week; iPhone XR) and no fix outlined here seems to work consistently. I've tried the "enter Podcast app via long press" (never worked), and the "reset Network Settings" fix, which worked for about half an hour and then the app started shutting down again.

Update from Cupertino, please.

Dec 9, 2019 9:06 AM in response to eggfight

This is super annoying. At first, I would start the podcast, then it would exit out of that screen, show my home screen, then stop playing. Another 2 times, it was just a black screen of death. I tried the other user's suggestion of holding down for 1 second and I could play from there, but again, it would crash. When it WOULD play, anytime I got a banner notification, it would skip out. My podcasts are what get me through my hour and a half commute everyday! Anyone know if Apple has a fix yet? Seemed to happen after installing the latest software update. Resolving issues my a**.

Podcast App Crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.