Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family sharing: cannot complete action

I'm having trouble with family sharing, stuck in a loop where my computer thinks there is a pending invitation from my wife, but when I click either accept or decline, I eventually get to an error message: Cannot Complete Action, you must have an invitation to join a family. I can't get past this screen when I click Manage Family from the icloud settings screen on a mac laptop. We got here in disbanding the family so that I could give up being the organizer so that my wife could recreate the family sharing as the organizer herself. To complicate things, we have a child under 13, so we cannot remove her from the family per apple's restriction on icloud accounts for children.

I've restarted the computer a handful of times and logged in and out of my icloud account. As an attempted workaroudn, my wife has re-invited me to join the family share, and whether I accept or decline, I still cannot get past the error screen. I think the problem is that I need to leave my current family group before I can join another one, however, I cannot get to a place where I can leave my current family group.

Help, anyone? Thanks.

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 5, 2019 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2019 9:37 AM

If she hasn't already done so, have your wife leave the existing family by following the steps in the article below. Then have her set up a new family. Once that is done, use the 4th link to transfer the child from your family to your wife's family. When that is done, disband your existing family. Then have your wife invite you to join her family.

Family Sharing - Leave

Family Sharing

Family Sharing - Set up

Family Sharing -  Transfer a child to a different family group - Apple Support?

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2019 9:37 AM in response to joefromelprado

If she hasn't already done so, have your wife leave the existing family by following the steps in the article below. Then have her set up a new family. Once that is done, use the 4th link to transfer the child from your family to your wife's family. When that is done, disband your existing family. Then have your wife invite you to join her family.

Family Sharing - Leave

Family Sharing

Family Sharing - Set up

Family Sharing -  Transfer a child to a different family group - Apple Support?

Oct 10, 2019 3:14 AM in response to joefromelprado

Did you get this fixed? I have the same problem. It started when I was sent an invitation twice to the same family, and after joining the family an invitation is still pending and won't go away no matter what option I pick! And there is a notification in the Settings app with a red (1) because of the invitation, which is so annoying!

Also I currently have storage and things shared within currently Family, so I don't want to disband and create a new family as Eric suggested.

please help

Family sharing: cannot complete action

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.