Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn down photo sharpening by the camera

I am a new owner of an iPhone 11 Pro.

Coming from a 6S I noticed that Apple is applying some strong post sharpening, even to shots that are perfectly in focus and don’t need it. This is especially noticeable in super-sharpened hair details.

Is there a way to turn down or turn off that sharpening and let me decide how much I want to sharpen a shot, if at all.

Thanks.

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Oct 5, 2019 11:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 12:05 PM

So having just forked out for an 11 Pro because of the added camera functionality, I now discover that for any proper photography, the phone's camera is basically un-usable.

Brilliant.

Well done, Apple. Yet more of your nonsense forced upon the customer base.

Similar questions

5 replies

Dec 21, 2019 5:03 AM in response to cbaaden

Apple doesnt let developers turn off video/photo sharpening either. Even Apps like filmic pro cant turn sharpening off.. Its just apple.

Dear Apple, video/photo sharpening can be achieved in post. If someone uses 3rd party apps for Photos/Filmmaking, He intends to do post processing himself. So for god sake let the developers turn off artificial sharpening. It will be huge plus for iphone camera

Dec 22, 2019 8:27 AM in response to Aman_Mann

Halide shoots in raw without sharpening & makes a much better use of sharpening when "smart processing" (its equivalent of Live Photo) is employed. I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't want all their photos to look like they've been processed by a five year old who got Photoshop for Christmas. Halide comes bundled with Spectre, an app that takes a timed exposure of somewhere that people are moving about & basically filters them out by building the exposure from the unchanging parts of the picture. Very clever &, although not always 100% successful, it gets remarkable results most of the time.

Dec 22, 2019 8:31 AM in response to del.frost

Apple doesn't care about post processing or the part of its user base who care about the end product beyond the instant. The whole thing is geared towards someone being able to take a picture that looks great at tiny sizes on some crap like Instagram.

I'm glad I bought my 512gb phone for music storage & not photography because the cameras are dog sh*t with the sharpening issue the way it is.

Turn down photo sharpening by the camera

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.