Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Faces in Photos not properly syncing between different devices (iOS 13, iPadOS, High Sierra)

Just noticed today that the number of photos linked to a certain person (= "face") does not match at all between my 3 devices, e.g. I have >1.200 photos linked to a particular person on my iPhone, 900 on my iPad and yet another amount on my Mac. What am I doing wrong here?

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Oct 6, 2019 12:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2019 1:43 AM

Each device is scanning for faces separately. Depending on the system version the algorithms for face detection may differ and this may result in different numbers of recognized faces.

But if the numbers are different by hundreds of photos, check the albums for each person closely. Occasionally it happens, that the syncing is causing the people albums of two separate persons to be come merged. Check the people albums on your Mac for each person with inconsistent numbers. Set the album to show the faces thumbnails, not the photos. Are there any faces in the wrong People album?

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2019 1:43 AM in response to mcons_1

Each device is scanning for faces separately. Depending on the system version the algorithms for face detection may differ and this may result in different numbers of recognized faces.

But if the numbers are different by hundreds of photos, check the albums for each person closely. Occasionally it happens, that the syncing is causing the people albums of two separate persons to be come merged. Check the people albums on your Mac for each person with inconsistent numbers. Set the album to show the faces thumbnails, not the photos. Are there any faces in the wrong People album?

Faces in Photos not properly syncing between different devices (iOS 13, iPadOS, High Sierra)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.