Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Photos not syncing to iPhone

I have a MacBook Air Sierra, iPhone Xs 13.

My photos sync just fine from my iPhone to my Photos on my Mac. But any photos added to my Mac do not reflect on my phone.

I have iCloud Photo Library checked in the iCloud settings on the Mac.

On my iPhone, the iCloud photo settings are:

iCloud photos: On

Optimize iPhoto Storage

Upload to my Photo Stream: On

I don't know what else to change. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

iPhone XS

Posted on Oct 6, 2019 3:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2019 10:27 AM

So I googled "Items on this Mac only" and followed Apple's directions and now they're on my phone. Don't know if I have to do this every time, but it's easier than Air drop. Thanks!

About the status bar in Photos for macOS

Photos for macOS provides detailed information about your photo library, including how many photos and videos you have, when your library was last updated with iCloud Photos, and more.

Find the status bar

To see how many photos and videos are in your library, select Photos, click Moments, then scroll to the bottom. If you have iCloud Photos turned on, the status bar also shows how the photo library on your Mac compares to what's in iCloud Photos. If you're uploading photos to iCloud Photos, you can click Pause or Resume here.

Manage Items on This Mac Only

If there are "referenced" photos or videos in the library on your Mac, you might see Items on This Mac Only in the status bar. Referenced items aren't uploaded to iCloud Photos, and aren't available on other devices. If you want to include them in iCloud Photos, here's what to do:

1. Choose File > New Smart Album.
  2. Name the Smart Album "Referenced" and select Photo - is - referenced. Click OK.
  3. Select "Referenced" in the left sidebar.
  4. Press Command-A to select all the photos in the Smart Album, and then choose File > Consolidate.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2019 10:27 AM in response to léonie

So I googled "Items on this Mac only" and followed Apple's directions and now they're on my phone. Don't know if I have to do this every time, but it's easier than Air drop. Thanks!

About the status bar in Photos for macOS

Photos for macOS provides detailed information about your photo library, including how many photos and videos you have, when your library was last updated with iCloud Photos, and more.

Find the status bar

To see how many photos and videos are in your library, select Photos, click Moments, then scroll to the bottom. If you have iCloud Photos turned on, the status bar also shows how the photo library on your Mac compares to what's in iCloud Photos. If you're uploading photos to iCloud Photos, you can click Pause or Resume here.

Manage Items on This Mac Only

If there are "referenced" photos or videos in the library on your Mac, you might see Items on This Mac Only in the status bar. Referenced items aren't uploaded to iCloud Photos, and aren't available on other devices. If you want to include them in iCloud Photos, here's what to do:

1. Choose File > New Smart Album.
  2. Name the Smart Album "Referenced" and select Photo - is - referenced. Click OK.
  3. Select "Referenced" in the left sidebar.
  4. Press Command-A to select all the photos in the Smart Album, and then choose File > Consolidate.

Oct 6, 2019 5:34 AM in response to Cindy-G5 iMac__

I have iCloud Photo Library checked in the iCloud settings on the Mac.

Is it enabled in both icloud preferences? In System Preferences > iCloud > Photos > Options. and in Photos > Preferences > iCloud?

What does the status bar for iCloud in Photos on your Mac show? Check it as described here:

About the status bar in Photos for macOS - Apple Support

Does Photos still show "Uploading"? Does it show "items on this mac only"?

What is the file format of the photos on your mac?

Oct 6, 2019 5:53 AM in response to léonie

Yes, enabled on both.

The status bar does not say it's uploading but it does say there are 132 photos on this mac only. (29,000 total plus videos). The ones I've been testing with are jpgs - I haven't been adding many to Photos until it syncs properly.

The 132 photos are probably mostly photos I imported to make calendars and books - also all jpgs.

Mac Photos not syncing to iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.