Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get the documents name in Numbers with Apple Script?

Hi there,

Here is a minimum example of a script that worked fine some weeks ago. But now it produces an error message: number -1728.

tell application "Numbers"
	activate
	set doc_name to the name of the front document
end tell

error "„System Events“ hat einen Fehler erhalten: „document 1 of
process \"Numbers\"“ kann nicht gelesen werden." number -1728
from document 1 of process "Numbers"

Translation: „System Events“ got an error: „document 1 of process \"Numbers\"“ can not be read.

I think the new version of Numbers causes this error. But I am not sure. What is reason for it?

Any ideas?

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 3:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 3:53 PM

Your script is working well here when I run it from Script Editor. Are you running it from Script Editor or in some other way?

Things to try (in Mojave; don't know yet about Catalina):

1. Make sure Script Editor and Numbers are both listed and checked at System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility.
  2. Closing Numbers and reopening
  3. Restarting your Mac.
  4. At System Preferences > Language & Region change your region temporarily to United States and trying running the script.

SG

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2019 3:53 PM in response to Uhlhorn

Your script is working well here when I run it from Script Editor. Are you running it from Script Editor or in some other way?

Things to try (in Mojave; don't know yet about Catalina):

1. Make sure Script Editor and Numbers are both listed and checked at System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility.
  2. Closing Numbers and reopening
  3. Restarting your Mac.
  4. At System Preferences > Language & Region change your region temporarily to United States and trying running the script.

SG

How to get the documents name in Numbers with Apple Script?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.