Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question sign after update to Catalina

Hi there!

I have Mac Pro Mid 14 and just updated to Catalina. After restarting i have Question in Folder sign blinking.

I've tried CMD+R, C, ALT, CMD+R+P - no result.

Any ideas how to solve this issue?

Thanks!

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 1:21 AM

12 replies

Oct 8, 2019 1:49 AM in response to nonameo

If you have a bootable USB drive, yes, you could try that. You should never upgrade without a backup on an external drive. In fact, even if you don't upgrade, you should always maintain at least one full backup on an external drive. As this is becoming obvious, if something goes wrong with your internal drive or your Mac gets stolen, you lose all of your data.

Oct 8, 2019 2:01 AM in response to nonameo

You may have friend that has an external bootable drive or make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar, they "may" be able to repair it for you.

Cloning software and TimeMachine are the two most common ways to backup your Mac to external drives. Some use both, I prefer using clones because unlike TimeMachine backups, they are bootable and the external drives only need to be large enough to hold the contents of your internal drive. Where as TimeMachine externals need to be around 3 times larger.

Question sign after update to Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.