Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Podcast app not syncing in Catalina

The podcast app in Catalina does not sync with the iOS Podcast app.?

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 6:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2019 4:15 PM

I have one Apple ID.

I have manually deleted all podcast episodes on my iMac by physically removing the podcast files from the library, and then verified that they are no longer there by checking ~/Library/Group Containers/...

I have unsubscribed all podcast shows on my iMac.

I have uninstalled podcast app on my iPhone.

When I go to Finder to sync my iPhone's podcasts, the finder lists podcast shows and episodes that I no longer have. Some are from more than a year ago. When I resubscribe shows and download episodes anew, the list of shows and episodes will still not refresh. Can anybody help me?

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2019 4:15 PM in response to andypb1234

I have one Apple ID.

I have manually deleted all podcast episodes on my iMac by physically removing the podcast files from the library, and then verified that they are no longer there by checking ~/Library/Group Containers/...

I have unsubscribed all podcast shows on my iMac.

I have uninstalled podcast app on my iPhone.

When I go to Finder to sync my iPhone's podcasts, the finder lists podcast shows and episodes that I no longer have. Some are from more than a year ago. When I resubscribe shows and download episodes anew, the list of shows and episodes will still not refresh. Can anybody help me?

Nov 7, 2019 11:35 AM in response to Strykecondor

I have the same Problem: After updating to catalina, when i connect my iphone and sync within the finder, it shows a podcast i dont have ANYWHERE stored on my mac (Apple Keynote from September 2019)...and i cant delete it. did the same you did, no success. I logged out, logged in, even deleted my library (!) and created a new/fresh music library. And the Apple Keynote Episode STILL shows up under podcasts when i sync my iphone...

I also deleted all podcasts in the podcast app...

What is strange as well: If i add and download a Podcast through the podcast app, it does not show up in finder under podcast when syncing.

So, basically: I cant sync podcasts.its totally broken in catalina...sigh.

Nov 7, 2019 1:07 PM in response to the_baumi

If I'm subscribed to a podcast, they seem to sync well. However if I simply add podcasts from individual show and are NOT subscribed to that show, the podcast may or may not show up on the Mac. I typically search for and add podcasts on the iPhone. It would be nice for them to be seamless again. iOS 13.2 MacOs 10.15.1

Nov 8, 2019 4:03 PM in response to the_baumi

Ok I tried deleting everything with podcast that I could see in Users/Name/Library/Containers/. No dice all my all ghost podcast episodes remain in Finder and the new Podcast episodes do not appear in Finder. The only way I can transfer Podcasts so far is to drag n drop from the download window in the Podcasts App to the iPod in Music. They then appear as 'songs' in the old coverflow etc after sync on the iPod.

Nov 9, 2019 12:37 AM in response to jkswong

Well, tbh, I did not try to download new podcasts yet and probably wont in the near future - not until Apple gets his sh** together regarding quality control. Sorry to hear that it didnt work for you.

Did you try creating a new macOs User account? If this works, you at least know that a complete fresh install would help ;) Or that somewhere in your existing account there are still remnants of some files which are causing these hiccups.

cheers

Nov 10, 2019 6:48 AM in response to andypb1234

1) On iPad : Settings : Podcasts : PODCASTS SETTINGS : Sync Podcasts : Turn ON

You might discover that OLD MacOs Podcasts are added to your iPad / or you get duplicate podcasts.

No problem (this proves syncing is working this direction) : Delete these from your iPad library

2) On Catalina : Quit Podcast App : Open Finder : Navigate to Users/<your user name>/Data/Library/Containers/

Rename the following (eg add an 'x' in front of the follow files) :

PodcastsDB.plist -> xPodcastsDB.plist

PodcastsDiff.plist -> xPodcastsDiff.plist

3) Restart Podcast App in Catalina. It should (hopefully!) now have the same Podcasts as your iPad

If it all works -> Delete the renamed files (ie xPodcastsDB.plist & xPodcastsDiff.plist)

AJ

Jan 8, 2020 9:54 AM in response to TuckshopTony

So ... on my iMac, Users/<your user name>/ does not have a folder called data in it. If I go to Users/<your user name>/Library/Containers, there are several folders with podcast in their name that have data folders in them, but when I click on them, they show all the other apple products that sync but podcasts themselves do not show up.

Jan 13, 2020 9:15 PM in response to andypb1234

Hi

I use iTunes for windows however I can confirm after testing that after I have updated my iphone 7 to IOS 13, podcasts that are downloaded to your phone on the podcast app are no longer transferred and showing up in tunes under saved podcasts.

I think it is by design and they've stopped it due to wanting to get rid of iTunes.

before on IOS 10,11,12 all my podcasts synced back to itunes. guess what my last "date added" date is.. the day I updated to ios13. on top of it I have two iphones, peroo and work and they are both showing the same thing.

with my test, I sync all podcasts in tunes. on the podcasts app, when browsing the episodes of the show, there is also a "synced from iTunes" section and it does not update when I do a new sync of the episodes I choose to download using itunes.. they do not show up in "my episodes"

however I did a new test and only selected one podcasts show to sync with it's episodes and it then synced them properly and updated the "synced from iTunes" section.

I am guessing there is a major disconnect between the podcast app, icloud and using itunes.

it's a real shame and just goes to show apple really doesn't have the customer front and center only themselves.. As I have a podcast series that only stores 1 weeks worth of episodes on their server, I've just lost them somehow on my phone and can no longer download the months worth I have lost. if itunes sync worked properly, I would have been able to get them back.

Podcast app not syncing in Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.