Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music "loading artwork" for hours and using virtually all of my system memory

I have a large music library

I upgraded to Catalina earlier

Since upgrading Apple Music has been "loading artwork" for my music

It's using all my memory (24 GB), has taken about 7 hours so far, and doesn't appear to be making much of a difference as most of the albums still don't have artwork

Is there any way I can stop this process?

Or better still, speed it up?

Or configure it so that it isn't slowing down my system to a snail's pace?

Any thoughts or ideas would be gratefully received

Thanks very much

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2019 3:10 PM

I might have found a solution: Delete the “Album Artwork” folder inside your User/Music/iTunes folder. I did this and now the Music app is no longer using lots of system memory (In my case is now around 250-300 MB, after taking almost 8 GB in less than 15 minutes). Hope this helps.

Apparently when you upgrade from Mojave it tries to import the iTunes artwork library. Just delete that folder and you’re good to go. After deleting it, I reloaded Music and all my album covers were still there.

59 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2019 3:10 PM in response to mrnigey

I might have found a solution: Delete the “Album Artwork” folder inside your User/Music/iTunes folder. I did this and now the Music app is no longer using lots of system memory (In my case is now around 250-300 MB, after taking almost 8 GB in less than 15 minutes). Hope this helps.

Apparently when you upgrade from Mojave it tries to import the iTunes artwork library. Just delete that folder and you’re good to go. After deleting it, I reloaded Music and all my album covers were still there.

Oct 13, 2019 9:58 PM in response to Jesadomo

Thank you 🙏🏼 This may well have fixed it for me. Memory usage has remained low, and so has CPU usage.

Artwork comes and goes at the whim of AMPArtworkAgent I guess, but I don’t actually care all that much about album artwork on my Mac. I open the Music app and start my heavy rotation playlist, then Hide the window. I hardly ever look at artwork in the first place.

Hopefully this means Music stops modifying hundreds of gigabytes of data every day, filling up my Time Machine. I’m fine with waiting for a proper fix whenever it comes, as long as my Mac is usable until then.

In the meantime, I may also try reinstalling Catalina in place.

Oct 8, 2019 8:35 AM in response to mrnigey

I just restarted the computer and when I reopened Apple Music quite a bit of the artwork was present. It is still "loading artwork" but is not using nearly so much memory.

Perhaps a restart resets the process?

Either way, things are much better now as there's sufficient memory for everything else to work efficiently

Oct 8, 2019 3:17 PM in response to mrnigey

Same issue as well. I'm stuck on "loading artwork". Only 120 out of roughly 800 album cover's artwork has loaded on my 2017 iMac. Thank goodness this Mac is only used to host my music with only 8 GBs of RAM with 4+ GBs used by Music this could take quite awhile to complete. Music is consuming 42% of my CPU right now. It's basically unusable with constant beachballs if you try and execute any other commands or use other apps.

Oct 8, 2019 6:30 PM in response to blackdogaudio

UPDATE : I remoted into my iMac mentioned in my last post just to check it and noticed it had crashed and restarted after running out of resources. I found the Music app running but minimized so restarted my Mac with the switch thrown to relaunch apps after a restart (Music is the only app that I kept running) and noticed after the restart my CPU usage was down to 4% and memory was topping out at a comfortable 3.38 GBs.

After logging in after the restart, any app I try to open now responds instantly. If you're running out of horsepower like I was trying to load artwork you might want to try closing Music's open window (don't quit Music) and then perform a restart with Music set to launch after the restart. Don't maximize the Music UI after the restart, just make sure it's running indicated by the black dot under its icon in the dock.

Hopefully it will keep your Mac online and loading artwork without taxing the kernel and hardware and speed up artwork loading overnight. I'll report back tomorrow night with results.

Oct 8, 2019 11:37 PM in response to mrnigey

I left my Mac on overnight. This morning it was totally unresponsive and I had to restart it via the button at the back of the machine.

Interestingly Apple Music has stopped "loading artwork" for my music although I can see not all albums have been reunited with their artwork.

I have about 900 GBs of music so it's a lot of albums

Anyway, I'd rather have a load of albums without artwork than the memory hogging problem of yesterday.

Oct 9, 2019 12:26 AM in response to mrnigey

Same problem here. Music is constantly grabbing all the memory it can get its hands on and I've had to pull the plug on it a couple of times when its got up to around 50GB as it's used all the physical memory (16GB) and is ravenously grabbing more and making the whole Mac unusable. Automatically update artwork is unchecked and it's not making the slightest bit of difference. Everything else with Catalina has gone really smoothly, but Music is currently pretty much unusable.

Oct 9, 2019 12:26 AM in response to mrnigey

Same problem. I have around 95000 songs in my library, the vast majority not iTunes downloads. Encountered same issue of the Music app hogging system resources and making anything else impossible on my iMac (2018 model). Left it running overnight, woke up to find the system had crashed and rebooted :( Loaded a Stats app to monitor memory/CPU load and closed the app window but with app still running. Checked on memory load and it just keeps creeping slowly up and up. Nothing else is running. So it looks like the Music app is just continually accessing more RAM until it reaches the point where 1. anything else becomes unresponsive and 2. the entire system eventually crashes.

Result: I've dug out an old USB flash drive and am loading it up with a Mojave installer. Going to wipe Catalina and reinstall Mojave from a Time Machine backup.

What have I learned? Never again jump into a MacOS 'upgrade' until someone else has discovered the faults and Apple has ironed them out. So, uh, I guess always be at least one system behind 'the cutting edge'. Also, 'the cutting edge' is overrated. New is not always (is seldom?) better.

Oct 9, 2019 12:34 AM in response to unpopular

I suspect Apple don't really care about people like you and me who have personal music collections, and are just trying to cater to customers who use music streaming services.

For whatever reason at this end Apple Music has stopped trying to load my artwork. I'd say only about 30% of the albums have their covers so I'll have to manually reupload the covers if I want cover art. It feels preferable to being unable to use my iMac as Apple Music quickly swallows up all available memory (24 GB).

Let's hope a developer sees this thread and finds a quick solution

I'm not holding my breath though

Oct 9, 2019 2:10 AM in response to mrnigey

mrnigey wrote:

Interestingly Apple Music has stopped "loading artwork" for my music although I can see not all albums have been reunited with their artwork.

I spoke too soon.

Apple Music is back to "loading artwork" and using all available memory again

I wouldn't mind if there was a way of running Apple Music and turning off, or limiting the capacity, but it appears not. It's all or nothing.

This is ridiculous.

Oct 9, 2019 11:36 PM in response to blackdogaudio

What was hanging and eating memory hand over fist last night was accomplished in about five minutes this morning via the Music>File>Library>Get Album Artwork route, and looking at the activity monitor it was churning through the artwork at good speed. Not sure if something changed server-side or what, but for the moment all seems to be well. Which is nice...

Apple Music "loading artwork" for hours and using virtually all of my system memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.