Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Update Apple ID Settings - Handoff and Sidecar not working.

Just updated my 2017 iMac to Catalina yesterday. I've noticed that there's always a red dot on the Apple ID preference in Settings. When I go in to that, I enter my Apple ID password over and over. I don't know what's not working here [Update Apple ID Settings. Some account services will not be available until after you sign in again ] - it just doesn't accept the password.

I noticed that Handoff doesn't work (can't see open web pages on other devices) and when trying to use Sidecar with a 2018 iPad Pro it fails to connect.

I presume the next step should be sign out of iCloud and sign back in. When I do so, I get a message to save a copy of my data on my iMac. I choose to save the copy then I get a message that says iCloud Drive needs to finish updating before continuing with sign out - Downloading 1200 items. (XXMB of 54.34 GB). So that part sucks.

Any other thoughts as I wait for 54GB of data to slowly sync?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 9:54 AM

Upon signing out and in on my iPad and my iMac and rebooting both, I have it working. I also had to look online to see how to use Sidecar. Connecting through the Settings on iMac is incorrect. You need to connect from the Airplay icon in the Menu Bar.

Incidentally, I also just loaded Catalina on my 2014 MacBook Pro. Had to sign out of iCloud on that as well. Signing out of iCloud is not a fun (or immediate) process.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2019 9:54 AM in response to Anthony Sbarro

Upon signing out and in on my iPad and my iMac and rebooting both, I have it working. I also had to look online to see how to use Sidecar. Connecting through the Settings on iMac is incorrect. You need to connect from the Airplay icon in the Menu Bar.

Incidentally, I also just loaded Catalina on my 2014 MacBook Pro. Had to sign out of iCloud on that as well. Signing out of iCloud is not a fun (or immediate) process.

Cannot Update Apple ID Settings - Handoff and Sidecar not working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.