Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does apple limited warranty cover hairline cracks?

I put my Iphone 11 in my pocket and when I pulled it out it had a hairline crack on the front screen glass. Does apple limited warranty cover this? It happened on my second day using the phone.

iPhone 11

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 11:03 AM

Hairline cracks with only 1 line that do not spider web ARE covered by warranty. I would advise you to take it to an Apple store immediately before it cracks further and voids that coverage.

[Edited by Moderator]

12 replies

Oct 8, 2019 11:38 AM in response to JeffKost

JeffKost wrote:

I used to work GB, so I say that from experience. If there is no POI, signs of abuse, and happened from unknown cause, they will likely replace it.

"Likely" is not definitely. You say you "used to" work for Apple which would means you don't now. It is quite possible that policies like that have changed and/or that they are discretionary. And, as you can't see the phone, you don't know whether or not there are signs of abuse. By telling the OP that those cracks "ARE" covered by warranty, you may have set the OP up for disappointment and the folks at the Genius Bar for a bad day should the OP take out their frustration on them (I'm not saying the OP is necessarily that sort of person!).

In a circumstance like this, you're better off saying that while you've seen Apple replace screens at no charge under these circumstances, it's up to Apple to make the decision and you can't speak for them. I like to add this link:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Oct 8, 2019 11:16 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Hairline cracks are specifically regarded as defects in the screen. if there is a point of impact (POI), this counts as accidental damage (AD). However, if there is no clear POI near the crack, and the issue is not presented as AD, they will cover it free of charge at an Apple store provided it is within its limited warranty coverage or still covered by AC+

Oct 8, 2019 12:10 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

You are right, I should have worded more clearly. I say likely because it depends on phone inspection and if they find water, POI, etc.

I should say, "As long as OPs phone is in excellent condition and shows no signs of damage or abuse, then this issue would be covered by warranty. You are right though, Apple has the final say, and after seeing people abuse advise such as I have given above, I should have known to word it better :) I appreciate the courteous correction.

[Edited by Moderator]

Oct 8, 2019 12:16 PM in response to Antoniomag

It can, but it doesn't mean it will. The main issue is that a lot of people come in claiming it wasn't dropped or abused, and the default seems to be that it's assumed to be a result of a non-covered accident unless there's overwhelming indication that it's a defect. There can be point defects in the glass that lead to spontaneous cracks with very little stress.

I'd say give it a try and point out the lack of an impact point and the limited nature of the crack.

Does apple limited warranty cover hairline cracks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.