Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repeated kernel panics

Hi there!

I recently started getting repeating kernel panics! The only new thing is that I've moved and am using a new internet/wifi/etc. There are no perifs when it happens, its at random, also sometimes software hangs and internet goes very slowly, repaired disk utility in safe boot, etc.

Here is the latest report. Thank you!

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 1:04 PM

31 replies

Oct 8, 2019 7:50 PM in response to lizziemiller

I find it interesting that you have to totally different kernel backtrace signatures.

That makes me think there is something else wrong, maybe hardware.

It is a 2016 Macbook Pro and I have not heard of any GPU issues with this model

Then again, a 3rd party kernel extension can do anything it likes in the kernel, and it would be good to try uninstalling Telestream.

Or if you can run in Safe mode for awhile that might indicate if it is Telestream or something else

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1564

This will not load any 3rd party additions, it will load some more conservative Apple drivers (may cause screen flicker), and it will clear some kernel caches (a cache is saved data in a form that can speed up a program, but is totally redundant to the original source, and thus can be safely cleared).  Booting into Safe mode is just an experiment, but can frequently eliminate any 3rd party interference, or a cached item out-of-sync with the world.  (Verify Safe mode via Applications -> Utilities -> System Information -> Software -> Boot Mode -> Safe vs Normal)

Oct 10, 2019 5:34 PM in response to lizziemiller

You could try Rember.

<http://www.kelleycomputing.net/rember/>

Quit as many apps and background tasks as you can (such as menu bar items) so more RAM is available for testing.  Booting into Safe mode <http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1564> can also free up more RAM for testing, by not loading any 3rd party additions you may have installed.

Set Loops: [X] Maximum

and run overnight

Oct 8, 2019 2:20 PM in response to lizziemiller

Initially it looks like possibly a GPU problem,  Have you blown the dust out of the intakes lately?

What temperatures does this App report?

This App can be used to speed up the fans, all my iMacs would be dead without it.

Never ever ever drop fan speeds below the speed that the Mac itself is calling for.

MacFansControl…

https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

Oct 8, 2019 7:15 PM in response to lizziemiller

There should not be any problem deleting them. They aren't part of the OS.

Depending on where the kext are stored, you may have to disable SIP to do so.

If a "ages ago" predates SIP, they could have installed the kext in /System/Library/Extensions. If so, that folder is protected by SIP, now. I don't know if you can just delete items out of it.

If Telestream knew what they were doing, it would have installed in /Library/Extensions which you can easily delete from.

But, if they knew what they were doing, you wouldn't have gotten a panic from their software (if that was the cause).

Oct 8, 2019 7:20 PM in response to Barney-15E

It seems to be protected, I'm unable to drag them to the trash ("can not be modified or deleted" etc) - ages ago, probably 2 years, others 5 (migration)

Some are stored in sibrary⁩ ▸ ⁨SystemMigration⁩ ▸ ⁨History⁩ ▸ ⁨Migration-CB223D25-EE67-4AA9-AFA8-8252CB551368⁩ ▸ ⁨QuarantineRoot⁩ ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨StagedExtensions⁩ ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Extensions⁩

Others Library⁩ ▸ ⁨StagedExtensions⁩ ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Extensions⁩

⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Extensions⁩ ▸ ⁨TelestreamAudio.kext⁩ ▸ ⁨Contents⁩ ▸ ⁨MacOS⁩

and such.

Oct 8, 2019 8:30 PM in response to BobHarris

After trying a few times it allowed me to move all items to the trash except

Death Star⁩ ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨SystemMigration⁩ ▸ ⁨History⁩ ▸ ⁨Migration-CB223D25-EE67-4AA9-AFA8-8252CB551368⁩ ▸ ⁨QuarantineRoot⁩ ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨StagedExtensions⁩ ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Extensions⁩ > TelestreamAudio.ktext

and

‎⁨Death Star⁩ ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨SystemMigration⁩ ▸ ⁨History⁩ ▸ ⁨Migration-CB223D25-EE67-4AA9-AFA8-8252CB551368⁩ ▸ ⁨QuarantineRoot⁩ ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨StagedExtensions⁩ ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Extensions⁩ ▸ ⁨TelestreamAudio.kext⁩ ▸ ⁨Contents⁩ ▸ ⁨MacOS⁩ TelestreamAudio

(i'm not sure if time machine migration from an older computer to this one has anything to do with the backtrace signatures being different, and perhaps two seperate installation and uninstallations - honestly i cant remember, i had tried to stream on this machine and perhaps a few times but my internet was always crud - as is my memory)

Any new thoughts here?

Oct 9, 2019 11:08 PM in response to lizziemiller

Well, don't put too much faith in my guess, but It seems like possibly a RAM issue on the thin evidence that getting rid of the thing that was involved in the last KP made room for something else to load in the RAM space previously used by that other thing, & now it is crashing.

Very tough to test RAM, it seems OSX itself is a better RAM tester than any RAM tester, I wouldn't bother with Apple's test, I'd try MemTest86...

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/check-memory-mac/

Repeated kernel panics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.