Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sidecar works as second display but Apple Pencil not responsive

Maybe I'm missing something here, but all the videos I watched show the user using the Apple Pencil within apps on sidecar in the iPad. Mine will not do that. Sidecar works as an extra monitor or mirror but thats it. My Apple Pencil works on the side menu in sidecar, but is unresponsive within any of the apps ie; Illustrator, or web pages. I still need to use my mousepad for anything else. I have a 2017 MacBook Pro 13" without Touch Bar ( another thing that supposedly sidecar will include but doesn't for me), when I go to preferences and choose Touch Bar up top or below if provides a blank black space within sidecar on the iPad. My iPad is a Pro 9.7" with first generation Apple Pencil. I have tried all day to figure out how to get the pencil to work as a cursor and work in illustrator, and nothing has worked. What the **** am I doing wrong?

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 6:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2019 3:38 PM

Fix Found!

I found this posted in another thread with person with same problem. This worked for me and I hope it works for you! I will Copy and Paste for you......

-------------------------------------

Try the following on macOS Catalina:

1. go to System Preferences
  2. klick on Security (house with safe-icon) then on the Firewall tab
  3. klick on the lock at the lower left corner and enter your password
  4. klick on Firewall-Options
  5. uncheck “block all incoming connections” (or something similar – depending on your language settings) on the very top of the window
  6. restart sidecar

For me this setting solved the issue with the not working apple pencil together with sidecar.

Best

Thomas

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2019 3:38 PM in response to vikki510

Fix Found!

I found this posted in another thread with person with same problem. This worked for me and I hope it works for you! I will Copy and Paste for you......

-------------------------------------

Try the following on macOS Catalina:

1. go to System Preferences
  2. klick on Security (house with safe-icon) then on the Firewall tab
  3. klick on the lock at the lower left corner and enter your password
  4. klick on Firewall-Options
  5. uncheck “block all incoming connections” (or something similar – depending on your language settings) on the very top of the window
  6. restart sidecar

For me this setting solved the issue with the not working apple pencil together with sidecar.

Best

Thomas

Sidecar works as second display but Apple Pencil not responsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.