Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina update caused a tenacious pop up.

The second I updated to Catalina I got the following dialogue. "[app] is an app downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?". The app in question was an installer that I no longer need and so I hit cancel. However this was not the end. The dialogue box will not go away, no matter what. The only thing I haven't done is hit open, because I do not want to open it. It told me when and what I downloaded so I went into my downloads and removed the file. I also tried restarting the computer. The dialogue box remains. How do I get rid of this pop up?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 9:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 8:57 AM

Hello Albert2019,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you're encountering a pop-up message that won't go away asking if you want to open an app that was downloaded from the internet after upgrading your Mac to macOS Catalina. You've come to the right place for help.

Let's start by ensuring that the installer has been moved to the Trash, empty the Trash, then restart your Mac again. If the pop-up window still appears, you may need to search if the installer or related app is anywhere else on your Mac:

Install and uninstall apps from the internet or disc on Mac - Apple Support

You may also want to consider restarting the Mac in safe mode, then restart it normally and see if the pop-up is still there:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Cheers!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2019 8:57 AM in response to Albert2019

Hello Albert2019,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you're encountering a pop-up message that won't go away asking if you want to open an app that was downloaded from the internet after upgrading your Mac to macOS Catalina. You've come to the right place for help.

Let's start by ensuring that the installer has been moved to the Trash, empty the Trash, then restart your Mac again. If the pop-up window still appears, you may need to search if the installer or related app is anywhere else on your Mac:

Install and uninstall apps from the internet or disc on Mac - Apple Support

You may also want to consider restarting the Mac in safe mode, then restart it normally and see if the pop-up is still there:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Cheers!

Catalina update caused a tenacious pop up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.