Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Approve with Watch not working

Anyone having problems with this?

I have 'Use your Apple Watch to unlock Apps and your Mac' turned on. I've restarted. Nada.

It also won't unlock my Mac....

Now, I also have a MacBook Pro - works totally fine there, so it's not the watch I assume!!

Anyone have a thought?

Mac is 2019 model, so no issues with compatibility!

Apple Watch

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 11:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 1:21 AM

And after trying quite a lot of things, this simple trick worked

Log out of Facetime on iPhone and Mac and then log back in, voila!

It must be related to iCloud somehow and that gave it the kick in the bum it needed!

14 replies

Nov 2, 2019 9:23 PM in response to mreed

I'm the only one who uses these computers, so I don't log in or out, other then when starting up!

Weirdly, the computer knows the setting is on as it tells me the watch is an option - but, doesn't transmit that option to my watch. Makes me think it's a bluetooth issue maybe? I've tried resetting that though and it doesn't make a difference, plus SMC and PRAM.....

Oct 29, 2019 5:12 PM in response to RonEdwards

Hey Ron. So I have Level 2 Apple support case that has gone to Engineering division for resolution of this issue. That being said, since I started that case I purchased a new 27" iMac.

On this computer I found that the watch does log in to system ONLY if you don't log out. If the system sleeps then wakes the watch opens to last used state. So any apps that were open are still open, etc.

I should also add that there are multiple users. I have found it nessasary to log out to free up memory hog websites that bog down Safari. When I log in I have to input password. The watch won't log you in.

Hope that helps until they figure out this 'feature'.

Nov 1, 2019 7:38 PM in response to RonEdwards

No new info. This started back in July. I believe this is a back burner issue for them at this point. Just my opinion. That being said, when you start up or restart the system it says, on screen, that the watch will not open system and password is required. This is normal behavior. My issue is when I log out and the watch doesn't open system. As I previously stated, it will open when I'm logged in and computer sleeps and locks. Why it doesn't log me out as it should is probably part of the problem.

Nov 2, 2019 12:06 AM in response to mreed

Can't believe they're not coming back to you! Or have they just said it will be fixed in an update?

Yep, know that it won't work after a restart to get in the first time - I mean, if I actually get it working, it loses the connection again after a restart!

To get it working - untick 'use your apple watch' in security, then on Mac log out of messages and log in, log out of facetime and log back in, restart Mac, phone and watch, then tick 'use your apple watch' in security, after about 5-10 mins it should work.

Who wants to do that every time though!!!!

I have a 21.5" Mac at work - works always, every time, no issues. I have a MacBook - works always, every time, no issues.

I wish I knew the secret as to why my 27" Mac at home does this!!!

Nov 2, 2019 2:50 AM in response to RonEdwards

So on your work iMac and the MacBook you can be logged out and the watch will log you in? I think an issue for me is that I have multiple users. No one has told me that and I haven't seen any info on it, just a feeling I have.

As to the no response, this isn't my first rodeo with Level 2 Tech support moving to engineering division. Over the years I've had bizarre issues where i've been told they've never seen that before, including this one.

Maybe it's time to check in with them again. Keep you posted.

Nov 3, 2019 9:04 AM in response to RonEdwards

I get the same thing, when I'm unlocking from sleep I see a brief "Unlocking with Apple Watch" message, only to ask for my password a second later. I've unchecked and checked the option to unlock with AW several times, to no avail. It worked on Mojave, but stopped working back on the beta (I'm on the release version now).

Bummer, such a handy feature!

Apple Watch Series 4 LTE - WatchOS 6.1

Macbook Pro TB 2016 - Catalina 10.15.1

Nov 7, 2019 11:16 AM in response to papawar

I have a similar issue after upgrading to 10.15.1. It was working fine on 10.15.0 and all versions of Mojave prior. When I come back to my computer after it's been asleep I get "Unlocking with apple watch" with a spinner and then it seems to time out and shows my password prompt. Strangely enough approve with apple watch is working. E.g. If I go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy and hit the lock at the bottom of the screen I get a message saying "Approve with Apple Watch or enter your password to allow this." and my Apple Watch shows the double click to approve UI and it all works. I also noticed handoff isn't fully working. When I go to reddit.com on my mac and then swipe up on my phone it shows "Reddit from Ethan's Mac" as if handoff is working, but when I click on the alert to actually do the continuity action, it says "Waiting for Handoff to "Reddit"" for about 10 seconds and then "Handoff Failed". Handoff from my iPhone to the Mac works just fine.

Approve with Watch not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.