Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloaded Files invisible (MacOS Catalina)

After successfully upgrading my iMac (Late 2013) to macOS Catalina, I have discovered a serious (for me!) issue.

Any file that I download is not visible. It is not visible even if I use the Cmd-Shift-Period shortcut. If I try to download the file a second time I get a message saying that it already exists. If I click on the Downloads folder in the dock, the fan shows the file but Finder doesn't. If I open a terminal window I can list them. I just cannot see them in Finder.

Even stranger, if I do a search for the invisible files and the search finds them then they are suddenly visible in Finder.

The issue is the same in Safari, Chrome or Firefox so I do not think it is browser related.

Is there a setting or a preference that I have missed?

HELP!!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 2:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 2:22 AM

Try deleting the Finder preferences, then force-quit the Finder and try again

This is a problem with Finder that is not specific to Catalina, a few users reported this in Mojave. Clearing Finder preferences seems to be the solution.

Similar questions

7 replies

Oct 14, 2019 3:05 AM in response to thejarhead

1) Press command-shift-G to open the "Go to Folder" window

2) Type or paste the following:

~/Library/Preferences

3) Press enter

4) Drag the com.apple.Finder.plist file out of the Preferences folder and to your desktop (for example)

5) Press command-option-escape to open the Force Quit window

6) Select the Finder on the list and click Relaunch

Downloaded Files invisible (MacOS Catalina)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.