Question:

Question: An external disk refuses to mount, com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error -119930868.

What causes this particular error and what can I do to mount this drive or retrieve the data from it?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 3:22 AM

Question marked as Helpful

Dec 16, 2019 2:10 AM in response to mhicks In response to mhicks

Ok so its been a week since i pressed the "i have this problem too button"

i spent most of my days not being able to write on the disk only read it and last night i tried to repair the disk again in disk utility. it didnt seem to do anything but this morning i noticed it finished the process and i pressed mount and it worked.

Sharing & permissions changed to " you have custom access". what i want to say is ease us and tuxera didnt do anything or the western digital discovery. The only thing that worked was my patience.

Dec 16, 2019 2:10 AM

Oct 19, 2019 6:53 AM in response to chuck_3rd In response to chuck_3rd

This doesn't really help. I don't want to lose all the info I have on my external drive. You've made it sound like it's the drive issue but it's really with how the new Catalina update is working to read these drives. Please provide a better fix. I need drive access without reformatting & it's worked fine up till the latest update.

Oct 19, 2019 6:53 AM

Oct 25, 2019 1:42 AM in response to chuck_3rd In response to chuck_3rd

I'm having a similar issue - "com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 0." since the Catalina upgrade.

I've a partitioned 2Tb drive - half I drag & drop files to, the other half is for Time Machine. I have another disc that I use as a backup for the files/data but not as Time Machine.

My partition for dragging files into mounts but the Time Machine partition won't. It wt was last seen in action trying to backup a few days ago but announced it had insufficient space.

An ideas?

I'll also post on a Time Machine forum

Oct 25, 2019 1:42 AM

Oct 19, 2019 6:52 PM in response to mhicks In response to mhicks

I recently purchased a new IMac and upgraded it to Catalina. BIG mistake!! I have this same problem and it will not mount any external hard drives. These drives all still work fine on my old macBook running Mojave 10.14.1. This problem started when I Accidentally unplugged a drive and didn't trash the icon first. Another problem is Disk Utility and some other programs will not respond to a QUIT command. The only way to get them to quit is to force quit them. I assume you will have a fix soon???

Oct 19, 2019 6:52 PM

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Oct 11, 2019 1:11 PM in response to mhicks In response to mhicks

Hello mhicks,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand from the information you provided that you're unable mount an external drive; I'd like to help.

First, make sure your drive is formatted so it can be read by macOS:

File system formats available in Disk Utility on Mac

The following support article provides some troubleshooting steps to try for external drive issues:

Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Hope this helps.

Best Regards.

Oct 11, 2019 1:11 PM

Reply Helpful (2)

Oct 19, 2019 6:53 AM in response to chuck_3rd In response to chuck_3rd

This doesn't really help. I don't want to lose all the info I have on my external drive. You've made it sound like it's the drive issue but it's really with how the new Catalina update is working to read these drives. Please provide a better fix. I need drive access without reformatting & it's worked fine up till the latest update.

Oct 19, 2019 6:53 AM

Reply Helpful (21)

Oct 19, 2019 6:52 PM in response to mhicks In response to mhicks

I recently purchased a new IMac and upgraded it to Catalina. BIG mistake!! I have this same problem and it will not mount any external hard drives. These drives all still work fine on my old macBook running Mojave 10.14.1. This problem started when I Accidentally unplugged a drive and didn't trash the icon first. Another problem is Disk Utility and some other programs will not respond to a QUIT command. The only way to get them to quit is to force quit them. I assume you will have a fix soon???

Oct 19, 2019 6:52 PM

Reply Helpful (11)

Oct 23, 2019 11:36 AM in response to mhicks In response to mhicks

On my system, I just have to wait for some time till I can mount my external drive (SD, for example).

Seems like Catalina runs fsck on them if they were not safely removed last time.

Drive mounts itself after it's checked for errors. It just takes time.

Oct 23, 2019 11:36 AM

Reply Helpful (14)

Oct 23, 2019 11:39 AM in response to DahnLC In response to DahnLC

If your drive has an activity indicator, you could probably notice that it's busy while connected, but not able to mount.

This means that an fsck command is run on it, checking for errors. This is not a specific Catalina issue. Just be patient or kill fsck, say, from 'top' console command

Oct 23, 2019 11:39 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Oct 24, 2019 8:05 AM in response to torgash In response to torgash

In my case, it took a lot of time. I finally ended up letting my external drive run all night and it was mounted in the morning. I don't know how long it actually took to check a 2TB drive, but after ejecting it and connecting it to a new iMac with Catalina, Migration Assistant is doing its thing. Patience is the key.

Oct 24, 2019 8:05 AM

Reply Helpful

Oct 25, 2019 1:42 AM in response to chuck_3rd In response to chuck_3rd

I'm having a similar issue - "com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 0." since the Catalina upgrade.

I've a partitioned 2Tb drive - half I drag & drop files to, the other half is for Time Machine. I have another disc that I use as a backup for the files/data but not as Time Machine.

My partition for dragging files into mounts but the Time Machine partition won't. It wt was last seen in action trying to backup a few days ago but announced it had insufficient space.

An ideas?

I'll also post on a Time Machine forum

Oct 25, 2019 1:42 AM

Reply Helpful (13)

Nov 6, 2019 7:37 AM in response to torgash In response to torgash

I will try that... I looked for the fsck_ext someone suggested in the Activity Monitor but it is not there. I can see the HD, however, it is not mounting. I dont know what Apple did, Catalina was not helping me in a bad day. Very annoyed but was experienced enough to notice it was the update of iOS and not an issue with my HD.

Nov 6, 2019 7:37 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 6, 2019 7:40 PM in response to mhicks In response to mhicks

Hi friend. I had your problem and since I saw your comment I searched for like 3 or 4 days and finally I found the solution:

Go to www.Tuxera.com and download it for mac.

After installation , your mac will restart. after that you're good to go.

Just plug your Hard Drive in and use it.

Simple as that

It worked for me. Hope it works for you too.

Nov 6, 2019 7:40 PM

Reply Helpful (3)

Nov 7, 2019 6:30 AM in response to torgash In response to torgash

Thank you but I just tried and it is still not mounting, it shows that it is there but grey out. I tried manually mounting and even reversed my iOS but it is not mounting. I am starting to wonder if it was the HD itself... it would be a pain to loss all files!

Nov 7, 2019 6:30 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: mhicks

Question: An external disk refuses to mount, com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error -119930868.