Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Enable Aptx codec on Mac

I have a issue about enable the aptx codec on my mac. My devices are Macbook pro 2016 and Mac pro2013. They should be able to ture on aptx automatically and they do on Macos 10.14(Sometimes AAC sometimes Aptx) but after I upgrage to Macos 10.15 only AAC is working. I try different ways on web to enable aptx but they didn't work, for example

"sudo defaults write bluetoothaudiod "Enable AptX codec" -bool true"

Or the app "Bluetooth explorer"

It shows" "Enable AAC codec" = 0;

"Enable AptX codec" = 1;"

But it is still using AAC codec.

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 4:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2019 1:06 PM

I was testing your theory today. Indeed, aptX remained 100%. Very similar to

Bug with the name. I hope they correct in the future. Checked in Bluetooth Explorer.Ran using the check box in the SBC codec menu and aptX to check bitrate in one case or another. It turned out when put in priority aptX the bitrate was exclusively 384 kb/s and it was not possible to change it by any software, which is possible only with this code. Then banned aptX and it turned out bitrate which is possible only in SBC 327 kb/s.Plus it was possible to change bitpool, which immediately led to the fall of bitrate and sound quality.

Similar questions

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2019 1:06 PM in response to Vetal_tv

I was testing your theory today. Indeed, aptX remained 100%. Very similar to

Bug with the name. I hope they correct in the future. Checked in Bluetooth Explorer.Ran using the check box in the SBC codec menu and aptX to check bitrate in one case or another. It turned out when put in priority aptX the bitrate was exclusively 384 kb/s and it was not possible to change it by any software, which is possible only with this code. Then banned aptX and it turned out bitrate which is possible only in SBC 327 kb/s.Plus it was possible to change bitpool, which immediately led to the fall of bitrate and sound quality.

Oct 28, 2019 12:37 AM in response to hugoclho

And they do it on a sneaky way... the best and most used codec is dropped... I stoped buying iphones and i got so much more with android and i think this will be my last apple product (a $3000 macbook pro btw), i think windows 10 got to the point macos has little to offer right know (only dropping compatibility with older apps and most used codecs...) Well done new Apple. I am out. I am formatting osx like i did on the older macbook and installing windows, i wont be using SBC codec thats for sure.

Nov 2, 2019 11:27 AM in response to PacoZhou

Same thing here. I paid $300 for a pair of Sennheiser Momentum II with APTX headphones knowing I could use Apple's own Bluetooth Explorer to enable the APTX codec. It worked great for a month, and now Apple has silently removed support in Catalina. I've decided to sell my headphones on eBay.

Screw you Apple. This is why so many people can't stand you.

Dec 23, 2019 6:28 AM in response to piii666

It behaves randomly despite whether I reboot the MacBook Pro or not. Though it seems I found the pattern. When I use my Beoplay H9 headphones at my desk in the office it shows AAC. But when I try it at home or in coffee shop it shows AptX (and the quality of sound improves significantly).

Most of the time I use 5Ghz WiFi (FYI just in case Bluetooth and WiFi modules are on the same chip). Also there might be some radio noise at 2.4Ghz in the office so the system chooses AAC over AptX.

I have the latest Bluetooth Explorer and it crashes every time exactly at the moment I open Audio Options window.

The reason of crash:

"Application Specific Information:

Performing @selector(createWindow:) from sender NSMenuItem 0x600000c3cfc0

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'Modifications to the layout engine must not be performed from a background thread after it has been accessed from the main thread.'

terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

abort() called"

I tried to reinstall the Bluetooth Explorer and XCode. No luck so far.

The Apple Support replied to my inquiry. They say that the AptX codec support in macOS Catalina 10.15.2 is partially workable and Apple's engineers are on it to fix it.

Enable Aptx codec on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.