You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 for 5,1 MP

I read on one of the threads in discussions that one of the members (@Claywdittman)who has gone down the route of swapping their Nvidia GTX 980 Ti card for a AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 for their cMP. They mentioned something about using a dedicated PSU as using the internal PSU is cumbersome.

I'm also using the GTX 980Ti with High Sierra, although I'm having to resort to using the DVI port with a HDMI to DVI adapter to connect to my LG 34 Ultrawide monitor and can't understand why the DP or HDMI ports don't work.

I'd like some advise as I'm thinking of upgrading to Mojave from High Sierra to get the most out of my 5,1 due to discontinued support of 5,1 after Mojave from Apple.

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 7:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2019 6:05 AM

Mojave does not support Nvidia cards so yes switching to the AMD Vega is an option. As per Install macOS 10.14 Mojave on Mac Pro (Mid 2010) and Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Apple Support

As some background the 'newest' official Mac compatible video cards for the MacPro5,1 were the Nvidia GTX-680 Mac Edition and the AMD Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition. Both are long discontinued but might be found secondhand.

Whilst no newer Nvidia cards will work due to the lack of suitable drivers as per the above Apple article some newer AMD cards will. These newer cards however as standard will lack Mac firmware meaning they do not start functioning until the Mac operating system has finished loading. This means functions like FileVault, holding down the option key to select a boot drive, accessing the Recovery partition etc. do not work.

However some models could be 'flashed' ones self to have Mac firmware. This covers the 7970, the R9 280 and R9 280x. More recently a company called MacVidCards who have for several years 'flashed' Nvidia cards, they have recently announced they have now managed to flash the AMD RX 580 card. See - http://www.macvidcards.com/store/p116/Apple_EFI_AMD_RX580_4GB_and_8GB_Sapphire_Pulse_for_Mac_Pro_4%2C1%2F5%2C1.html

This whilst slower than a Vega would then have the Mac firmware to enable the above pre-boot features.

Having a flashed card is not compulsory, the lack of Mac firmware merely prevents the pre-boot options.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 10, 2019 6:05 AM in response to Farravi_

Mojave does not support Nvidia cards so yes switching to the AMD Vega is an option. As per Install macOS 10.14 Mojave on Mac Pro (Mid 2010) and Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Apple Support

As some background the 'newest' official Mac compatible video cards for the MacPro5,1 were the Nvidia GTX-680 Mac Edition and the AMD Radeon HD 7950 Mac Edition. Both are long discontinued but might be found secondhand.

Whilst no newer Nvidia cards will work due to the lack of suitable drivers as per the above Apple article some newer AMD cards will. These newer cards however as standard will lack Mac firmware meaning they do not start functioning until the Mac operating system has finished loading. This means functions like FileVault, holding down the option key to select a boot drive, accessing the Recovery partition etc. do not work.

However some models could be 'flashed' ones self to have Mac firmware. This covers the 7970, the R9 280 and R9 280x. More recently a company called MacVidCards who have for several years 'flashed' Nvidia cards, they have recently announced they have now managed to flash the AMD RX 580 card. See - http://www.macvidcards.com/store/p116/Apple_EFI_AMD_RX580_4GB_and_8GB_Sapphire_Pulse_for_Mac_Pro_4%2C1%2F5%2C1.html

This whilst slower than a Vega would then have the Mac firmware to enable the above pre-boot features.

Having a flashed card is not compulsory, the lack of Mac firmware merely prevents the pre-boot options.

Oct 10, 2019 7:01 AM in response to Farravi_

I don't think cumbersome is the issue, it's the architecture of the logic board. The RX 64 needs 295 W power

75W from the PCIe and if you drew from both power connectors from the logic board to one card it will add 150W (75W+75W)

your still short 70W.

I dropped a 1660ti in my cMP in July and had issues with the ports (3 DP and 1 HDMI). I had to juggle drivers for most of the day. I had no display. I could boot to windows 7 which was default and hear the login but nothing on the display with 4 different monitors. If I ran it with the stock Nvida card GT120 and anytime I tried to install the windows drivers for the 1660 with both Nvida cards in or just the 120 the installer failed. I ended up putting my stock AMD 5700 back in and using both cards and then the 1660 would not operate 3 displays without one of them unable to run the native resolution on one of them and generally looking like I had the wrong prescription (glasses and medication)

Some of these issues seemed to be related to the drivers, some seemed to be issues with the architecture of the logic board as my ports are flaky as **** even in windows. I needed a GPU that had CUDA chops but I like AMD and its friendlier with macOS.

AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 for 5,1 MP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.