Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FTP that works with Catalina?!

So far Cute, Fetch and Filezilla are incompatible. Has anyone found something that works?

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2019 3:51 PM

Late to the party, but there is a beta of Fetch (5.8b10) that works with Catalina. If you go to the fetchsoftworks message boards, most of the threads will have one (or more) links to the instructions on how to download it.

So far, I have seen nothing that would convince me this is "beta quality" software. Then again, I don't use FTP very much, but when I do, Fetch has always been my go to choice.

The version on the app store isn't Catalina compatible, although I'm sure that once it's out of beta, that will change.

75 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2019 3:51 PM in response to Libby_Hartman

Late to the party, but there is a beta of Fetch (5.8b10) that works with Catalina. If you go to the fetchsoftworks message boards, most of the threads will have one (or more) links to the instructions on how to download it.

So far, I have seen nothing that would convince me this is "beta quality" software. Then again, I don't use FTP very much, but when I do, Fetch has always been my go to choice.

The version on the app store isn't Catalina compatible, although I'm sure that once it's out of beta, that will change.

Oct 29, 2019 10:43 AM in response to ksaro1

I think it does do FTP. That was more a comment on the YouTube video showing how to install it. But generally, I don’t understand this obsession with FTP. Yeah, I understand it was popular and many people still need it. But still, there are dozens of FTP apps. Most of them are free. What’s the obsession with picking one?

And why this resurgence in Catalina? Apple removed FTP in Mojave. Why not review any of the dozens of identical FTP threads from back then? Here is one I posted in the Developer forums back then - 79 replies! That is the developer forum, so I assumed people would be able to build from source. But if you don’t want to do that, here is a link to ncftp. I do consider command-line tools to be acceptable because the ftp that Apple removed last year was command line.

PS: I was wrong, Apple removed telnet and FTP two years ago.

Oct 28, 2019 7:13 PM in response to Libby_Hartman

Hi, same issue here. But it doesn't mean FileZilla is incompatible with Catalina.

If you try to install an app that isn’t signed by an identified developer or notarized by Apple, you will see will this warning that the app cannot be opened (Catalina) because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

Go System Preferences > Security & Privacy, under the General tab > Open Anyway:

PS: I'm using FileZilla 3.45.1 (works fine so far)

Oct 17, 2019 3:39 AM in response to Libby_Hartman

FileZilla is definitely compatible with Catalina. I used it just a few hours ago for work.

I'm also looking for a replacement FTP app, since YummyFTP doesn't work with Catalina and FileZilla is a bit clunky looking. But it works just fine.

Others I've tested so far which work well with Catalina are Forklift, Transmit, and CyberDuck (though CyberDuck isn't dual pane).

Oct 17, 2019 3:41 PM in response to Libby_Hartman

I got free SimpleClient from the App Store and it works. I maintain a simple private website with one index page.

Problem is you need to copy items for upload into somewhere like Desktop as the free version Local panel only shows first 60 items in any first level folder. That suits me but if you have a complex html library to maintain then you can pay for it (£10.99 in UK)

Oct 18, 2019 5:58 PM in response to Benny Archuleta

Good point. Maybe I'll give it a try also. So far in my search Transmit works. FileZilla does as well, but it clunky. Forklift has some issues with transferring bulk files (some end up on my remote server with 0 bytes) but their support is very nice and they are looking at it, CyberDuck is a no go for me because it's not dual pane. So at the moment it's Transmit or FileZilla, but I really like Forklift and the support team there, so would prefer to use Forklift if the technical issue can be fixed. I'll give Fetch a try too. Thanks.

Oct 20, 2019 2:44 AM in response to ksaro1

I just asked for a link that someone knows is safe. If you can vouch for it then thats fine by me. Nags and ads don't sound good though.

I would never install an app from the web on my phone, and I prefer to use App Store for Mac too,

I still maintain that if these small time developers charged less than $5 they will sell more in revenue terms than if they charged more than $10. Etrecheck paid-for version for example.

Oct 24, 2019 1:05 PM in response to Lurkums

Lurkums wrote:

peter_watt wrote:

"Cyberduck works great in both 32 and 64 bit."

On Catalina??
Yes. On Catalina

Yes, CyberDuck works on Catalina.

But not as a 32-bit app.

While a 64-bit app, or an app built as a 32- and 64-bit “universal binary” app will work on earlier macOS versions and as far back as it’s been built for, a 32-bit app will not work on Catalina.

This is pedantic yes, but there’s been a whole lot of confusion among the folks either considering or having performed upgrades to Catalina. 32-bit apps do not work on Catalina.

FTP that works with Catalina?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.