Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Security and Privacy - Screen Recording preference

Mac OS Catalina

I have two menu apps (Bartender 3 and Default Folder) which are asking that the screen recording preference be set in order to operate. However, when I go to Security and Privacy -> Screen Recording, there is nothing but a message "Apps that have requested access to record the contents of your screen will appear here." Both of these apps work on other Catalina systems at least according to their developers. What is blocking their requests from appearing in the Screen Recording window? Is there a CLI command to add apps to the Screen Recording window?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 8:25 PM

11 replies

Oct 14, 2019 1:54 AM in response to Michael Dillingham

I have tried a completely fresh install of Catalina on a freshly formatted drive. With no other software installed except the base software installed by Apple, the installation of Default Folder and Bartender 3 both fail. The following is the error being generated for both applications.

tccd CS_PLATFORM_BINARY set but not AppleSigned; prompt policy is Deny.

Oct 14, 2019 4:41 PM in response to dialabrain

I believe that I have found the issue with my installation. After reading through the support site for Bartender 3 I found a reference that SIP needs to be enabled in order for these apps to register. So, I re-enabled SIP on my system (I am a part time developer, so I keep SIP disabled.), this resolved the issue of the apps not appearing in the Screen Recording preference pane. Once the apps were registered, I was able to go back and disable SIP without any further problems.

Oct 23, 2019 2:27 PM in response to planetmonk

@planetmonk That solved the issue for me, but for a different application (Sip). In the past, I liked to organize applications I wouldn't typically launch directly in the Utilities sub-folder, but this was messing with Catalina's new permissions model. Moving the app up to the Applications directory and restarting the app fixed the issue for me.

For any others out there with similar issues, try those Mac Bartender suggestions.

Security and Privacy - Screen Recording preference

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.