Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina software: Crash, Crash, Crash, Crash and more Crashing

I'm running a Mac Pro (late 2013) 16GB DDR3, since i have installed Catalina IOS 10.15, my PC crashes on startup, then after 4 or 5 re-starts I can get past the log in. Then it crashes. I restart it, it crashes. finally I get it started and after 10 minutes it Crashes and continues this way all bloody day. I'm running time machine, is it possible to go back to Mojave as i experienced no issues..

Posted on Oct 9, 2019 11:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2019 1:54 PM

I have another angle on this on the eve of my machine spending some time at Apple... I loaded Windows 10 via bootcamp on this device and it works FLAWLESSLY. While I definitely do not want to run Windows over macOS, I think this points to something related to a software failure rather than a hardware failure.

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2019 1:54 PM in response to Rob Hogan

I have another angle on this on the eve of my machine spending some time at Apple... I loaded Windows 10 via bootcamp on this device and it works FLAWLESSLY. While I definitely do not want to run Windows over macOS, I think this points to something related to a software failure rather than a hardware failure.

Oct 11, 2019 12:16 PM in response to Mobotix png

I'm also running a Mac Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013). I opt-ed in for the Catalina beta and have had nothing but problems similar to what you mention (even with the production release). I've used the feedback tool to report the crashes many times but haven't gotten feedback on what might be happening.

My specific scenarios are:

• In the middle of Safari browsing, screen goes black, fan turns on full blast, requires holding power button to reboot.
  • When machine goes into sleep mode, fan turns on full blast, requires holding power button to reboot.

Oct 19, 2019 12:08 PM in response to Mobotix png

Basically same thing. MacPro (late 2013) ... etc, etc. At first I thought it was a continuation of the screen saver crash from earlier OS, but it's been crashing when in Mail, Safari, or other apps. This is the worst. I'm thinking of buying a new MacPro, but if this is a portent of the future, I may put that decision on hold. I've had Apples since my first Apple II+, and this has got to be down there in quality.

Oct 22, 2019 5:29 PM in response to Mobotix png

Just so you know, I am running IDENTICAL setup as you (late 2013 retina pro, 16gig ram, 512 SSD etc) and it has worked flawlessly all this time until Catalina update. Gonna see about reverting to Mojave until I know Apple has fixed the issues - otherwise I may have to 'defect' to a different device that's reliable. Just hope Apple gets on the ball cuz I don't wanna give up my Mac.

Oct 23, 2019 5:24 PM in response to Mobotix png

I updated last week to Catalina on my 2018 MBP, everything went great. So I decide to move forward with my 2015 MBP, I started crashing immediately after updating, faster and faster till is was stuck at the Apple with a bar not moving. I took it to the MacStore, they couldn't recover it while I was there or reinstall the software. So they kept it over night and called me the next day saying it was all set and ready to pick up. Got home and started to login to some of my programs and rebuild my app library and yep....happened again, this time it only took about 10mins of simple preference changes and now I can't even boot into recovery mode. This computer was functioning 100% normal before this upgrade...now it's an F'ing brick....***!

Oct 30, 2019 3:16 PM in response to Barney-15E

Well, so Apple put out an update that I could only suggest would fix the cronic issues with their last debarkle. We that didn't work. firstly it took all day to download the update due to the continual crashing of my Mac Pro (late 2013) finally late at night after many many restarts it was finally installed.. Wow great my PC is going to be fix.. NOT.. now it just take 05:33 to start, then crashes and crashes and continues to crash.. so now my PC continues to crash, the longest I've managed with the PC working is 42 minutes, normally more like 15 minutes. this has effectively made this, my primary PC bloody usless, and I can't even access the recovery mode to revert back to Mojave software.. Apple you are a disgrace

Oct 30, 2019 3:28 PM in response to Mobotix png

Something that seemed to worked for me (fingers cross, knocking on wood, plastic, steel, etc). I shut down and reopened in recovery mode (cmd-R, I think). When the recovery options appeared chose, disk utility, and then proceeded to repair all drives ( plan a day of binging a show or two). I then, restarted to my usual account, opened, and shut-down, and repeated.

The second time seems to have been a charm as the crashes have decidely slowed down (hesitate to say ceased).

Then again, maybe it was the concurrent offering of purple haze to the computer gods that did the trick. Somehow that seems a better explanation.

Nov 1, 2019 7:25 PM in response to JasonSES

So today is Nov 1st. I've avoided messing with my late 2013 Retina Mac for a couple days as it just made me angry. Today I fought through getting it booted via command R.... verified the disk bla bla bla. Even tried to do a restore (again) but it wouldn't recognize the destination drive (the Mac SSD restore from external Time Machine drive). Nope. Didn't recognize it even had a drive to restore. Yay.

Well, be that as it may - I saw that Catalina now has another update. Hmmm. Managed to do a complete Time machine backup (yes - even though it's backing up a completely JACKED OS)..... then told my Mac to perform the upgrade. Hmmmm..... Now my Mac will boot every time BUT it's throwing an error message that CAN be sent to Apple (so I did 4-5 times) but the funny thing is now, get this: I CAN'T SHUT IT OFF. I'll take it (for now) as it's useable. Just posting my progress for anyone else out there who's done the Catalina upgrade only to find you have a very expensive bookend (or frisbee depending on your frustration level)

Nov 1, 2019 7:31 PM in response to Arctickid68

Well an update to my situation, I did the update the other day when it came out.. well well well, it's worse now than it was before. it started taking 5:30 to boot up, then crash straight away. this continued all day, making my PC totally unusable. Finally I managed to speak with Apple support and it was deamed best to remove Catilina and revert back to Mojave. Thank you Apple for distroying my PC..

Nov 15, 2019 11:43 AM in response to Pike441

For what it's worth, I am having very similar issues since loading Catalina. MacBook Pro Late 2013 (16gb RAM, 500gb hard drive, etc. etc.). Crashes mainly when I am away from the Mac - possibly instead of sleeping, although I have even set the screensaver to never and fiddled with the power settings. However, more worryingly, it has crashed whilst using.

I have brought this to the attention of Apple Support (who, apparently, have only had one report of a similar sounding situation!!!). They have had me uploading a fresh Catalina, erasing the disc and uploading a clean new Catalina (twice), setting up a partition, deleting all 3rd-party software, gone through my logs, library, stopped iCloud Drive, etc. etc. - all over the last 2 weeks with no success. They are saying I have a hardware problem NOT a software problem.

Whilst I rate Apple's support, I think there is a breakdown in comms between them and the mothership. I suspect they were a bit adventurous in saying "late 2023 Macs" were ok. There is clearly an issue. I just want someone to be honest and not try to deny they were wrong. What was the downside - we would just go out and buy something sparkly and Apple.

I have tried downgrading to Mojave but the system crashed in the process - not sure if that was a lingering issue or what.

Like most of us, I am heavily invested in the Apple Legacy - wife, kids, iPhones, iPads, iTunes, Apple Music, etc. etc. They know we are unlikely to walk away.

Nov 15, 2019 12:29 PM in response to Rob Hogan

Hi Rob,

After downloading Apple’s supplementary update for Catalina, from that point on the PC took over 5 minutes to start up. Then within 2 to 3 minutes it was crashing again.

In the end as the computer was totally unusable i ended up contacting Apple help and with their assistance I wiped out the complete computer and downloaded a fresh copy of Mojave and had to reload back everything.

It only problem i had was that it turned out that my Time machine backup had become corrupted (not too much of an issue as i use the cloud), not sure if that has anything to do with the Catalina saga. But now for the last 2 weeks whilst back running Mojave I haven’t had any issues...

problem solved and settings changed to turn off Automatic updates...

Nov 15, 2019 12:34 PM in response to Mobotix png

Excellent news. As I think I tried to say, because my Mac crashed whilst trying to do what you did, I think Apple support started to give up on me and implied it was my Mac's hardware that was the problem. Perhaps we both gave up too soon. Maybe I should try again to go back and reload Mojave (which after all, is only 1 year old) and just accept that our Macs are too old for Catalina - until and if ever Apple make some changes to Catalina. I was very happy with Mojave. Great to Hear. Thanks. R

Nov 15, 2019 1:03 PM in response to Rob Hogan

If it helps anyone in the short term. I have noticed that if the Mac has something to do in the background (when you have finished) it tends not to crash while you are away. So, I have tried a manual time machine backup (with varying results) nut the best so far has been getting it to play music (in my case from a big playlist). This strategy seems to help the Mac not go to crash, allowing time machine to finish. Just saying.

Catalina software: Crash, Crash, Crash, Crash and more Crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.