Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

“update” will damage your computer. You should move it to the Bin.

I keep getting the following warning message each time I restart my MacBook Pro '“update” will damage your computer. You should move it to the Bin.' nothing appears to happen (nothing in the bin) after I click to move the item to the bin. I've seen a number of similar questions relating to the same basic issue, but nothing refering to 'update', whatever that is. If anyone knows how to fix this I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Posted on Oct 10, 2019 2:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2019 5:51 PM

I removed VidPlayer folder and it solved my "update" message. The folder contains an info.txt file and a unix executable called update. Here is a link explaining the virus. https://tinysoftware.com/remove-vidplayer-virus/

Hope this helps

11 replies

Oct 11, 2019 10:24 AM in response to bogie67

That is exactly what happened in my case. Updated to macOS Catalina and now every time I restart my MacBook Pro I get the pop-up warning. As it appears to be the same pop-up others are reporting, just with a different reference name, I've tried similar steps to get rid of it by searching for files named 'update' and removing them. So far nothing has solved the issue.

Oct 14, 2019 10:43 AM in response to photomoss

I did find a recommendation of downloading etrecheck (free) and running that. It found a couple "major" items and some "minor" ones. In the process did find an "updates" folder that said exec on it and deleted that, as well as two virus checkers that seemed redundant to what was already in the OS. Have not had the pop-up since.

Oct 18, 2019 5:48 AM in response to MittensPS

Hi, I haven't tried malwarebytes, but I did try using etrecheck to scan my Mac free of charge (suggested by bogie67 above), and although I think it returned some useful information about orphan files etc., it didn't solve my issue and clearly wanted me to purchase the Pro version for ~£15 for more advanced features. Removing the folder 'VidPlayer' (User/Library/Application Support) suggested by Nessjw77 and confirmed by londonglen has worked for me. I no longer get the pop-up warning message: 'update' will damage your computer. You should move it to the Bin. appearing periodically and following restart.

“update” will damage your computer. You should move it to the Bin.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.