Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina install fails - The file “Opt” couldn’t be saved to Macintosh HD - Data

I've just tried to install the latest Catalina version of macOs via the normal Software Update in the system preferences.

After a long while (>30 minutes) I suddenly get the error:

The file “Opt” couldn’t be saved to Macintosh HD - Data. Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.

I clicked on the restart button, and the whole process started again. After another 20-30minutes, the same error popped up again.

After 3 attempts of this, I used the Recovery and reverted back to Mojave.

This went cleanly, except I now have two Hard Disk Partitions, "Macintosh HD" and "Macintosh HD - Data"

Can anyone help me get Catalina installed and my disk back to one partition please?

Dave

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 10, 2019 5:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2019 6:22 AM

I was in this same position. I finally had to use Disk Utility and delete both apfs volumes; Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD Data. Then I create a new Macintosh HD apfs volume and restored mojave from my Carbon Copy Cloner.

Interestingly before I did this I called Apple. What they suggested was for me to go back to Mojave and wait for a future upgrade release and try again. Not exactly the help I was hoping for.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2019 6:22 AM in response to David English

I was in this same position. I finally had to use Disk Utility and delete both apfs volumes; Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD Data. Then I create a new Macintosh HD apfs volume and restored mojave from my Carbon Copy Cloner.

Interestingly before I did this I called Apple. What they suggested was for me to go back to Mojave and wait for a future upgrade release and try again. Not exactly the help I was hoping for.

Catalina install fails - The file “Opt” couldn’t be saved to Macintosh HD - Data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.