Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External display not working after installing MacOs Catalina

Hello,

after upgrading my MacBook to macOS Catalina I can't connect external displays. Minutes before installation it was all properly working. It seems like MacBook doesn't detect them at all.

Anyone has similar issue? Any hints?

The displays are not Apple (HP, Asus).

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 5:51 AM

175 replies

Nov 20, 2019 3:54 PM in response to pierrevelez

Hmmm....Strangely enough, it seems that the USBC port you plug the monitors into may also be causing the issue.

When I had it plugged in to the port furthest away there was no monitor detection.

However, when I plugged them into the port closest to me, it seemed to detect the displays straight away.

Perhaps, try changing the ports around to solve the issue.

APPLE PLEASE FIX.

Oct 11, 2019 12:31 PM in response to Boldvigil

I tried plugging and unpluging several times and shutting down Mac. Nothing worked. Then on another Mac I just left it plugged in and after 30 min it lit up. When I connect and disconnect the screen doesn’t turn on immediately. The other Mac can’t even detect single external screen.

i can’t find any logic in how this works. Sounds like patch is needed.

Has anyone been successful with safe mode reboot?

Nov 8, 2019 6:07 PM in response to tomasz228

Maybe this might point you in the right direction.

I fixed my full time pink screen issue, here is the solution. I think it might apply to your issue as well. For those of you without working screens, I suggest finding a screen that does work temporarily, and installing Teamviewer, or some other free program to remotely log into your machine. After doing so, connect the nonworking screen, start the computer, and log in remotely, then follow the steps 1-5 below. you will have to switch back to the working screen for the steps 6-15

The reason it is having an issue, is after the update, the signal being sent is YCbCr instead of RGB like your monitors are expecting. Some people with panels like mine will get pink, others likely get no signal recognized. This script works by setting up a profile for your specific monitor, and having it be forced to be RGB, if you connect it to another model monitor with the same issue, this process will need to be repeated for that monitor as well.

1. Download this script: https://gist.github.com/adaugherity/7435890
  2. Place the patch-edid.rb file into the /Users/ directory
  3. Run this command in Terminal: ruby /Users/patch-edid.rb
  4. Take note of the DisplayProductID and DisplayVendorID file names. These will vary based on your monitor.
  5. Move the output file named "DisplayProductID-XXXX" from /Users/~username/ to the /Users/ directory
  6. Reboot your Mac in Recovery Mode by pressing Command+R as soon as you see the Apple logo after rebooting
  7. Open Disk Utility in Recover Mode
  8. Check to see if "Macintosh HD" is mounted. If it isn't you will need to mount it before proceeding.
  9. Exit Disk Utility
  10. Open Terminal in Recovery Mode
  11. Change to the Overrides directory via "cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/"
  12. Create the folder with "mkdir DisplayVendorID-XXXX".
  13. Run this command in Terminal (make sure to include spaces):
  14. "cp /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/DisplayProductID-XXXX /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-XXXX/"
  15. Restart computer and the monitor should now be in RGB mode.
  16. Check to make sure it has taken effect by going to your "system preferences" and clicking "displays". If your display name at the top bar does not include "forced RGB mode (EDID override)", it did not take effect.

Hope this helps everyone! if you have issues look in the comments on the script page, the author is active.

My machine is a Mac mini (2018) i7 64GB 1TB. My monitor is a 28 inch Hannspree HF289H monitor

Jan 21, 2020 6:14 AM in response to Shandygirl

I have a very similar setup, Late 2012 Mac Mini using a d2 Thunderbolt HD to daisy chain both a 27" Thunderbolt Display and 2012 27" LED Cinema Display and everything worked perfectly fine on High Sierra before I decided to update to Catalina. Now the problems I have are absolutely ridiculous:

1. If I disconnect the HD, my Thunderbolt display goes completely black and I have to force Shut Down my Mac Mini
  2. If I restart, my LED Cinema Display doesn't turn on
  3. Apps like TeamViewer no longer work which is extremely frustrating because we use it extensively for work

What does work:

1. Putting computer to sleep and waking still works fine
  2. Starting screensaver and returning still works fine

Apple should've never allowed this update for 2012 Macs, it totally wreaked havoc on my machine and there is no recovering from it. I would've gone back to a previous backup but but the time I figured out that nothing was going to fix it a week had gone by and rolling back would've deleted a ton of work I had completed for work.

Not happy. Booooooooo Apple.

Feb 12, 2020 12:13 AM in response to markebrandon

This solution did NOT work for me.

Bought a Startech.com USB-C Adapter from Amazon namned: "USB-C to Mini DisplayPort Adapter - 4K 60Hz" and it did not change anything. Same result as before with the Apples USB-C adapter. Problem must be Catalina based and not hardware. Writing this so others can save their money and not try this or similar adapters to solve this problem.

For reference I use a MBP 13" (2018) + Apples Cinema display with a display port as external monitor, this worked just fine before installing MacOS Catalina...

Oct 12, 2019 9:43 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

This is the program I am using. https://macpaw.com/cleanmymac I've used for over a year with no issues. It is not the one that would pop up on less reputable sites a few years ago. CleanMyMac X did not update my OS system. CleanMy Mac X updated to handle Catalina. If you were confused by my sentence in my reply, I apologize. I've had no problems with malware. I also run McAfee AV and no malware ever detected. I appreciate you looking out for us Mac users.

External display not working after installing MacOs Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.