Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lack of "Delete Photo From Library" function within an Album in Photos 5.0

One "innovation" in the 5.0 version of the Photos application for Mac OS X that completely baffles my perception of the Photos app reality that I got used during the past couple of years is the lack of the "Delete Photo From Library" function when browsing within albums

So now first you have to go to "Show in All Photos" and only then you can delete the photograph from the library? Is that supposed to improve usability?

I am sure that this adjustment to the functionality of deleting photos from albums will be an enormous drawback and hindrance for many professional photographers

How do the engineers at Apple imagine that a photographer should prune photos from sessions now?

Go through the extra hassle of first getting into the view all photos mode, getting distracted by having to view photos from a completely different session, spending the extra time to first click "Show in All Photos" and afterwards there isn't even a "back" button to return to the album that you were working in during that particular time...

The cutdown of the Delete Photo From Library within Albums function does not make any sense whatsoever

Please fix this issue soon

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2019 9:58 AM

To delete just from an album select the thumbnail and use the Delete key.

To delete from the library select the thumbnail and use the Delete + ⌘ key combination. That will move the photo to the Recently Deleted album where you can empty it immediately or it will be emptied automatically in 30 days.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2019 9:58 AM in response to LD150

To delete just from an album select the thumbnail and use the Delete key.

To delete from the library select the thumbnail and use the Delete + ⌘ key combination. That will move the photo to the Recently Deleted album where you can empty it immediately or it will be emptied automatically in 30 days.

Oct 13, 2019 9:22 AM in response to mr-b33tr00t

Well when confronted with idiots like me who kept selecting Delete from library instead of Remove from Album, thereby inadvertently deleting from Library, they probably thought "take the option away from the clumsy fool"

However deleting a whole album will surely take a while if the album covers a whole date range. A long while!

Oct 13, 2019 10:19 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for pointing this out, Old Toad, the Delete + ⌘ combo does work for deleting

I might be wrong about this, however I seem to recall that the keyboard function also used to work with the Delete key above the arrow keys, now it only works with the Delete/Backspace key above the Return/Enter key which is not particularly intuitive

However it does work with the Delete/Backspace key and that's good to know

It'd still be nice to see a menu item for this function though, as in previous versions of the application

Lack of "Delete Photo From Library" function within an Album in Photos 5.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.