Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black band at top of login screen

Minor issue, just annoying, at the top of my login screen there is a black band of emptiness above my desktop photo. It goes away and appears normal after entering password, but would prefer to not have at all.

Thanks

Tim

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 9:02 AM

It looks like you changed your system to use a different startup image -- this image needs to be the exact size of your screen I think. You can do this in Preview by opening image and click on Tools/Adjust size -- but you need to find the exact resolution of your screen first -- you can get that info from Displays in System Preferences and click on the "Scaled" option. Then place this new version of the image the same way that you did previously.

Good luck...

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2019 9:02 AM in response to TimGolobic

It looks like you changed your system to use a different startup image -- this image needs to be the exact size of your screen I think. You can do this in Preview by opening image and click on Tools/Adjust size -- but you need to find the exact resolution of your screen first -- you can get that info from Displays in System Preferences and click on the "Scaled" option. Then place this new version of the image the same way that you did previously.

Good luck...

Oct 11, 2019 3:20 PM in response to dot.com

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually troubleshooting for my parents (don't we all). And before I put them (and me) through those steps, I have an inclination that's not the case. Below is a screenshot of the desktop after the login is complete. Same picture appears correctly. Given that the gray bars appear left and right on both the login and desktop screens, it would seem that scaling is not the problem. And you'll notice that on the login screen, the image is pushed off the bottom, we now see more foreground and road on the desktop.

Tim

Oct 11, 2019 8:36 PM in response to dot.com

I will try that tomorrow. While I agree the left and right grey bars would indicate a smaller than full-screen pic, it shouldn't be cutoff on the bottom in the login screen with a black bar on top. Pictures will usually be edge-to-edge with the bars left-right or top-bottom, not a combination of both, as shown in the second picture.

Black band at top of login screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.