Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio levels when connecting external speakers.

What level should the audio be set to in system preferences when connecting to external speakers, on my iMac 2011?

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 8:03 AM

That depends on the external speaker system?

My external speaker system has it's own volume control and I run with the System volume slider at 3 quarters, the iTunes (now Music) slider at 3 quarters and then adjust the output level using the speaker systems volume control.

If your external speakers do not have a handy volume control, then you can adjust the output level from either the main System volume or directly from the iTunes/Music or media player window.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 11, 2019 8:03 AM in response to Beagle15

That depends on the external speaker system?

My external speaker system has it's own volume control and I run with the System volume slider at 3 quarters, the iTunes (now Music) slider at 3 quarters and then adjust the output level using the speaker systems volume control.

If your external speakers do not have a handy volume control, then you can adjust the output level from either the main System volume or directly from the iTunes/Music or media player window.

Oct 11, 2019 8:14 AM in response to den.thed

Thanks for your quick response I have just purchased a pair of Bose Companion speakers series 3, they do have a separate volume control , I was wondering at what level should I have the volume set in system preferences, so now I will set the volume at 3 quarters and control the volume level with the Bose speakers.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Audio levels when connecting external speakers.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.