Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I received a notification from McAfee that my phone is jailbroken

I received a notification from McAfee that my phone is jailbroken. I did not jailbreak my phone. I have received a few call from myself and someone who I never called, called me saying that I had called them. I also noticed that my phone screen lights up frequently without my initiating.

Please help

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 10:28 AM

15 replies

Oct 16, 2019 9:23 AM in response to BSparks820

Hello BSparks820,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that you have received a notification that your iPhone is jailbroken when it is not. What you are describing sounds like something similar to a fake 'virus' alert. This article has steps you can take to avoid these kinds of scams:

Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Best Regards.

Nov 12, 2019 12:41 AM in response to BSparks820

Do you have a McAfee app installed on your phone?

The article provided to you also speaks about popup alerts that could be fake. The McAfee app does show detecting a jailbroken device as one of its features.

Has the device ever been out of your control for any length of time?

Restoring your device using iTunes should remove the jailbreak if necessary.

See >>> https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201252

Nov 12, 2019 5:31 AM in response to LACAllen

My Phone is always in my possession. I do have McAfee installed on my iPhone. Am I understanding you to say the McAfee alert could be fake even though it’s coming from the app itself?

Also, if I restore to factory settings, it’s my understanding It’s best practice to not reload the latest backup because the malware could be a part of it. Is that accurate? If so, I don’t wan to lose everything I have on my phone. Any other suggestions?

i appreciate the quick and more thorough response you provided. Thank you!

Nov 12, 2019 5:45 AM in response to bzlady1

when in doubt you may want to back up your data and do a complete restore

I don't know what McAfee claims to do to protect your iPhone from malicious software but in that respect it's useless. The tools required to circumvent iOS securities don't exist in the SDK that developers get from Mac to write and sell or give away apps on the App Store.

Nov 13, 2019 11:45 AM in response to BSparks820

I received a warning that I was supposedly jailbroken from McAfee. I used this message to “scan again” which it supposedly did immediately. Scanning takes long than an immediate response. I cleared my browser, restarted the iPhone XR and made sure I was updated. made sure I was updated. No more “alert”, but I still am concerned how this got in my system.

I received a notification from McAfee that my phone is jailbroken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.