Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pink tint on HDMI display on Catalina

I have a 2018 Mini with two displays connected. One display via HDMI and the other via a USB-C to Display Port adapter. After the upgrade to catalina, the USB-C display works fine, the HDMI display looks good on the login window where i need to enter my password, but has a pink tint when the desktop shows up. The other display is always fine.

I think it's no hardware issue since the login form is presented fine every time, nevertheless i have reset NVRAM. However, the pink display stays pink.

What can i do now?

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 3:06 AM

I have the same issue, but in my case it's BenQ G2420HD monitor using 1920x1080 resolution.

The same issue was with Mac Mini 2012, but it was gone after reboot.

• I checked that monitor and HDMI cable works just fine with my notebook
  • I checked that Mac Mini works just fine with other 4K monitor and other HDMI cable

IMO this issue comes with upgrade to Catalina.

Right after upgrade, starting from logo and progress bar displaying the screen had pink tint.

What I tried to do:

• Removed the BenQ display profile while connected to other monitor. Pink tint was gone from logo and progress bar displaying and login screen was also without pink tint, but since I login pink tint appear again. ***?
  • Unplugged and plugged HDMI cable
  • Rebooted the system, powered off monitor and Mac Mini for a long period
  • Reseted NVRAM
  • Tried wake up from sleep mode
  • Tried to off monitor after 1/5/10/15 min without activity and wake up

It seems like Apple forgot to add this point into release notes:

You should upgrade your monitor with upgrade to Catalina.

You may google a lot of problems that were met after upgrade to Catalina.

My upgrade to Mojave was not so good as well, I had to reinstall it in Recovery mode.

I never met such issues when Steve Jobs was alive.

Now I'll try to downgrade to Mojave and turn off checking of updates.

I guess if monitor issue will gone in Mojave it will be the best proof of issue in Catalina.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2019 3:06 AM in response to hcsitas

I have the same issue, but in my case it's BenQ G2420HD monitor using 1920x1080 resolution.

The same issue was with Mac Mini 2012, but it was gone after reboot.

• I checked that monitor and HDMI cable works just fine with my notebook
  • I checked that Mac Mini works just fine with other 4K monitor and other HDMI cable

IMO this issue comes with upgrade to Catalina.

Right after upgrade, starting from logo and progress bar displaying the screen had pink tint.

What I tried to do:

• Removed the BenQ display profile while connected to other monitor. Pink tint was gone from logo and progress bar displaying and login screen was also without pink tint, but since I login pink tint appear again. ***?
  • Unplugged and plugged HDMI cable
  • Rebooted the system, powered off monitor and Mac Mini for a long period
  • Reseted NVRAM
  • Tried wake up from sleep mode
  • Tried to off monitor after 1/5/10/15 min without activity and wake up

It seems like Apple forgot to add this point into release notes:

You should upgrade your monitor with upgrade to Catalina.

You may google a lot of problems that were met after upgrade to Catalina.

My upgrade to Mojave was not so good as well, I had to reinstall it in Recovery mode.

I never met such issues when Steve Jobs was alive.

Now I'll try to downgrade to Mojave and turn off checking of updates.

I guess if monitor issue will gone in Mojave it will be the best proof of issue in Catalina.

Oct 11, 2019 12:49 PM in response to hcsitas

Here you are:

LG Flatron IPS225. Resolution: 1080p.

Turns out the pink tint is gone when i connect the display via a HDMI-to-DVI cable. However, this does not explain the occurence of the tint when using HDMI-to-HDMI cable since the Catalina upgrade. The display and the original used cable are fine when used on a different computer, so i think that something in the Mac-to-Display communication is faulty and i'd like to fix this.

Oct 12, 2019 4:08 AM in response to aik-fiend

Your monitor is a decade old and simonszu’s is at least 8 years old. That means both are running HDMI 1.0 which is long obsolete, and probably the root cause.

You could try playing with the frequency and/or a shorter cable. If that won’t fix, don’t expect a Catalina bug fix, not happening. Believe it or not, dropping support for legacy devices is a actually feature these days. You’re best bet is to replace with new. Enjoy...

Oct 15, 2019 2:49 PM in response to hcsitas

hcsitas wrote:

Believe it or not, dropping support for legacy devices is a actually feature these days.

Why I still see USB ports on back pane of my Mac Mini 2018 then?

Support of DVI monitors was not dropped, but support of HDMI monitors was dropped, are you serious?

And what about backward compatibility?

For temporary solution I used DVI-HDMI cable like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-DVI-to-HDMI-Cable/dp/B014I8UQJY/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1NYTX4L6AGNCF&keywords=dvi+hdmi+cable&qid=1571176020&sprefix=dvi+hdmoi%2Caps%2C242&sr=8-3

Oct 15, 2019 9:29 PM in response to aik-fiend

USB is not legacy. Support for DVI connectors isn’t available from Apple, only third party. Your HDMI display otoh is legacy, worth $0. Do yourself a favor, get a new one, or find someone who’ll give a more recent one for free (I would if it was uploadable). Or stick with what works now. Catalina has moved on, won’t be fixing. Good luck.

Pink tint on HDMI display on Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.