Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What exactly will be updated? I do not want to update my OS to Catalina!

I have OS 10.12.6 - Sierra - running on my MacBook Pro. I tried plugging my iPhone in but because of some system update, my computer no longer can connect. Instead, I received a message to agree to the needed update, but I do not want to update my OS to Catalina.

How do I connect my iPhone to the computer without updating the OS?

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 8:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 1:22 PM

The iPhone's system requirements are:

System Requirements

• Apple ID (required for some features)
  • Internet access12
  • Syncing with iTunes on a Mac or PC requires:
    • Mac: OS X 10.11.6 or later
    • PC: Windows 7 or later
    • iTunes 12.8 or later on Mac and iTunes 12.9 or later on PC (free download from www.itunes.com/download)

As you can see you do not need to upgrade, but your phone is compatible with iOS 13, and your computer is compatible with Catalina.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2019 1:22 PM in response to Jon Rosen1

The iPhone's system requirements are:

System Requirements

• Apple ID (required for some features)
  • Internet access12
  • Syncing with iTunes on a Mac or PC requires:
    • Mac: OS X 10.11.6 or later
    • PC: Windows 7 or later
    • iTunes 12.8 or later on Mac and iTunes 12.9 or later on PC (free download from www.itunes.com/download)

As you can see you do not need to upgrade, but your phone is compatible with iOS 13, and your computer is compatible with Catalina.

Oct 12, 2019 1:10 PM in response to Kappy

As initially mentioned, my MacBook Pro is running OS 10.12.6 - Sierra.

My iPhone 10xMax is running Software Version 13.1.2.

My iTunes software on my MacBook Pro is version 12.8.2.3.

I do not want to update the OS on my MacBook Pro because that will cause several of my beloved software programs to not work. I simply want to connect my phone to my computer (to get pictures into the computer)!

Must I downgrade the software on my phone in order to connect it with the MacBook Pro running OS Sierra (10.12.6)? And/Or, must I somehow change the version of iTunes I'm running?

What exactly will be updated? I do not want to update my OS to Catalina!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.