Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DELL P4317Q monitor and Mac OS Catalina

The relocated folder issue in Mac OS Catalina has already popped up on a few occasions by now

So far there does not seem to be any adequate information about solutions to the problem

There is a very specific reason why I require to write a file into the /System/ directory

I have a Dell P4317Q monitor and it only displays colours correctly when it receives the signal as an RGB signal instead of YPbPr signal that is transmitted to this monitor by Mac OS X by default

In order to achieve correct colour display functionality on the Dell P4317Q, forced RGB mode has to be implemented as per this instruction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_aMFSikKQE

/System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/

Already tried granting Full Disc Access to Terminal and copying the file via sudo cp command - so far, Mac OS Catalina does not permit read write access to /System/ even under sudo permissions

Please suggest solutions

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Oct 11, 2019 11:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 6:23 AM

OK, this is a brief step by step guide to what you have to do to force RGB mode on your Dell P4317Q monitor in Mac OS X Catalina.

1) Download this script:

https://gist.github.com/adaugherity/7435890

2) Place the patch-edid.rb file into the /Users/ directory

3) Run this command in Terminal: ruby /Users/patch-edid.rb

4) Move the output file named "DisplayProductID-d084" from /Users/~username/ to the /Users/ directory

5) Reboot your Mac in Recovery Mode by pressing Command+R as soon as you see the Apple logo after rebooting

6) Open Terminal in Recovery Mode

7) Run this command in Terminal:

cp /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/DisplayProductID-d084 /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-10ac

NB: It is not necessary to disable csrutil (System Integrity Protection) before doing this

Originally the method was described on this website, however the information provided there is outdated:

https://www.mathewinkson.com/2013/03/force-rgb-mode-in-mac-os-x-to-fix-the-picture-quality-of-an-external-monitor#comment-15886

The method that I've described is the accurate step by step procedure for enabling forced RGB on your Dell P4317Q and thus obtaining correct sRGB color depiction to the maximum capacity of this monitor on Mac OS X Catalina

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2019 6:23 AM in response to mr-b33tr00t

OK, this is a brief step by step guide to what you have to do to force RGB mode on your Dell P4317Q monitor in Mac OS X Catalina.

1) Download this script:

https://gist.github.com/adaugherity/7435890

2) Place the patch-edid.rb file into the /Users/ directory

3) Run this command in Terminal: ruby /Users/patch-edid.rb

4) Move the output file named "DisplayProductID-d084" from /Users/~username/ to the /Users/ directory

5) Reboot your Mac in Recovery Mode by pressing Command+R as soon as you see the Apple logo after rebooting

6) Open Terminal in Recovery Mode

7) Run this command in Terminal:

cp /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/Users/DisplayProductID-d084 /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-10ac

NB: It is not necessary to disable csrutil (System Integrity Protection) before doing this

Originally the method was described on this website, however the information provided there is outdated:

https://www.mathewinkson.com/2013/03/force-rgb-mode-in-mac-os-x-to-fix-the-picture-quality-of-an-external-monitor#comment-15886

The method that I've described is the accurate step by step procedure for enabling forced RGB on your Dell P4317Q and thus obtaining correct sRGB color depiction to the maximum capacity of this monitor on Mac OS X Catalina

Dec 14, 2019 11:34 PM in response to nikhelms96

I have bought a BenQ SW240 monitor and calibration failed using the Pallete Master Element. The reason is well known.

I checked my SSD in Disk utility in recovery mode before using Terminal and it shows "Unmount" option. That means my SSD drive is mounted.

i followed the entire process mentioned in this thread but Catalina isnt allowing to make a new directory in Overrides. It says its a read only file system.

I also disabled the SIP but it didnt work too.

Please help me know where I am going wrong

Oct 18, 2019 11:51 AM in response to mr-b33tr00t

I am having a similar problem to this. I followed these steps but when I get to step 7, I get the message “no such file or directory found”. I typed in everything exactly as you have it, spaces included. I also tried changing the product ID and vendor ID based on the name of the files generated in step 3. If you have any suggestions as to why this is happening please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Oct 21, 2019 1:40 AM in response to nikhelms96

nikhelms96, I've seen information about having to mount Macintosh HD in Disk Utility in Recovery Mode before proceeding to copying the EDID Override file in Terminal, however in my case, on a Mac Mini 2018, that step in the procedure was not required, that is why I did not mention it in this step by step guide. Kudos that you've pointed out that the mount disk step might be necessary on certain systems

DELL P4317Q monitor and Mac OS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.