Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

masOS Catalina internet radio

I need a bit of help to find (if its still available) internet radio (available in iTunes until another day) on new macOS Catalina music app...I was trying to look around but without succes...Thanks

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 1:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 1:53 PM

It is a bit more convoluted than in iTunes but it is possible.

Here is the Apple link for Internet Radio:

https://support.apple.com/guide/music/listen-to-internet-radio-mus098ad0a71/mac

Using this method, I searched for Radio Paradise, my favorite Internet station, and I found it and was able to play it in Apple Music on Catalina.

48 replies

Nov 15, 2019 8:35 AM in response to hotdogthemovie

I cannot repost the catalogue here, but this is the information on adding a stream into your Catalina library.

The new Music application introduced in macOS Catalina as one of the apps that have replaced iTunes doesn't include an Internet Radio section. The app can play Internet streams, but has no way to search for them. For those missing this feature I have compiled this catalogue. Search for the stream you want, right-click the title and copy the link/shortcut/target address, then in Music use File > Open Stream URL, paste into the box and click OK. Once the stream is playing you can right-click the notification area at the top of Music and use Add to Playlist to save the stream to a playlist in your library, e.g. Internet Streams. You'll need to edit the name of the station manually once it has been added to your playlist.

tt2

Oct 22, 2019 5:38 AM in response to Sikh

This method does not work. I typed in an internet station I have been listening to using iTunes for years and it did not find anything. If this is a method to force iTunes users to buy a subscription to Apple Music it is not working for me. I am not interested in another subscription and I don't want one that does not play the music I like to listen to or is curated by someone that does not really know the genre. Plus the music that this station plays is not in your system or service. Apple, bring internet radio back to iTunes it in know way will reduces the amount of subscribers to Apple Music it may help because it provides a service that other music apps may not. Plus take time to understand how people use your service before someone with a very narrow focus in the company makes a stupid decision to take away a service that iTunes has been providing for many years. I can stop using iTunes at anytime for buying music it was just convenient to have everything in one app. I was only able to figure this out because I updated my MacBook Air before updating my iMac to Catalina, I would have been ****** if I had updated my iMac first and discovered this issue!

Oct 22, 2019 6:21 AM in response to Sikh

I input several of the online stations that are listed in Internet Radio currently listed on the old iTunes and none of them are coming up on as a stream. The station I am looking for is in the Bahamas it is listed as "Bahamian Or Nuttin!" They must have some Podcast Mix shows because that is all that is showing after the search.

Oct 22, 2019 7:04 AM in response to Sikh

Nope, it is playing it from Tunein link and not from iTunes direct link. I can use Tunein without using iTunes. It also looks like you have an Apple Music Subscription activated and I don't. So in order for me to get my playlist and stream music using iTunes I must have Apple Music? I hope this does not screw with my GarageBand playlist and music files too. If this is the case I will have to dump iTunes and I can't upgrade to new OS because it will create a problem in my workflow.

Oct 22, 2019 7:13 AM in response to stewfish

Actually, I don't have an Apple Music subscription. But you are correct, when I searched for Radio Paradise from the new Apple Music App, it played at Tunein version.

I had originally save a .mu3 link to get to Radio Paradise and that still worked under the new Apple Music.

Have you tried scrolling down the list of playlists on the left side of Apple Music. There should be one playlist called Internet Songs, which may have your original link to your station. Mine was there for Radio Paradise, the original link not the Tunein link.

Oct 22, 2019 8:06 AM in response to Sikh

OK, I signed up for the 3 month free trial of Apple Music. I am now able to get the search to find the stream via Tunein. This is so stupid I travel between the US and The Bahamas for work and I am currently in The Bahamas. I am trying to play the Bahamian station while in the Bahamas and iTune is giving me a message that the station is not available in your country or region. But I can go direct to Tunein and play it without a problem LOL. In other words I can only play the station when I am in the US and not while I am at my desk in the Bahamas using iTunes. But in the old version of iTunes I can still stream the station without issue here in The Bahamas via internet radio.

Oct 22, 2019 4:24 PM in response to stewfish

I contacted Bahamian Or Nuttin regarding creating an .mu3 file to play their station. They replied as follows:

David,

Eric asked me to address this.

This exists:

http://192.184.9.158:8240/stream.m3u

Will that work for you?

all the best,

drew

-- 

Enjoy the Paradise Island Cam playing

Bahamian Or Nuttin - https://www.paradiseislandcam.com/

I hope this may help in some way.

David

Nov 15, 2019 7:54 AM in response to LifePlusMD

I want to throw this out there in case it helps someone... for many iterations of iTunes, I kept a playlist of radio stations I had made from the Internet Radio category. This playlist migrated to Catalina Music, but obviously I can't add new stations to that playlist.

Of course, today I find a new station I want to add. Frustrating... but the workaround is to go back to Mojave (I have a laptop running it yet) and create a new playlist with just that station, Export the Playlist to an xml file... then in Catalina Music, use File -> Library -> Import Playlist and select that xml file. You will see a new playlist containing that radio station.

Nov 15, 2019 8:13 AM in response to hotdogthemovie

Perhaps you missed my post above. While the new Music app in Catalina doesn't include the Internet Radio feature from iTunes, it can still access Internet streams, which you can also bookmark in a playlist without needing to switch to Mohave or earlier. Take a look at iTunes | Internet Radio for details on how to do it, and a copy of the iTunes Internet Radio catalogue that you can copy URLs from. You can also copy a station URL from any website that lists one.

tt2

masOS Catalina internet radio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.