Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicated and repeating text input in macOS Catalina

After upgrading to Catalina, I’ve been struck by a very strange issue: When typing and using the keyboard in general (either the built-in keyboard or an external) it will randomly duplicate some of the input, so that I’ll need to go back and edit the jumbled text constantly.

While trying to write “Maybe it” just now, I got "Maybe iMaybe t”, in addition to more examples like it. I can’t for the life of me figure this one out, and I’ve found a couple of other threads from people having the same issue (it does not seem widespread):

Double typing text on Catalina?

Duplicate keyboard input after upgrading to macOS C Catalina

Any help?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 1:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 6:13 AM

For now it seems problem disapeared on my macbook. I hope it's not only temporary.

• I uninstalled all software from wacom (tablet drivers etc.)
  • uninstalled Logitech Options
  • install new Logi Options for Catalina

Is there someone who uses Logitech and can try this?

16 replies

Nov 18, 2019 9:04 AM in response to 🍕🍕🍕__

I have a similar problem with a 2018 MacBook Pro. It started immediately after upgrading to Catalina.

Just to get hardware out of the way as a factor, the keyboard had mechanical problems, of a different kind. Some keys failed to register a keystroke because they were stuck on the way back to the resting position, but not deep enough to keep firing.

Unlike other people reporting words and multi-key fragments duplicating, I just see character duplication. Space, Dvorak 't', and 'm' are the most frequently duplicated characters (are they in the same column?). They may simply be the most frequent characters in English.

I do not have any non-Apple drivers. The only possibly related driver-like component is Karabiner Elements, which gives me the right-hand Ctrl key.

Dec 17, 2019 2:21 AM in response to 🍕🍕🍕__

I do not think you need to uninstall the Wacom drivers.

I just tested and it seems sufficient to remove the Input Monitoring privacy rights from

Settings > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Input Monitoring

From there, remove the rights from WacomTouchDriver and WacomTableDriver. Problem solved.

You may want to experiment with one or the other or both or even reactivating later as it seems the problem kind of goes away after reactivation. Worst case, keep it all deactivated.

Duplicated and repeating text input in macOS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.