Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unzipping files on desktop move to download folder

This has only been an issue since updating to Catalina. My Safari setting has always been to download zip files to my desktop. Archive Utility is set to save expanded files: into "Desktop" and after expanding, move archive to trash. Since the update, when I open a zip on my desktop, it expands into my Downloads folder and moves the zip to the trash. For what its worth, I also have The Unarchiver app installed for other compressed files but don't seen anything in there that would have changed the behavior.

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 8:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 8:28 AM

Welp, just fixed my own problem so posting the fix just in case anyone comes along with same issue. In Archive Utility I changed "Save expanded files" from how I had it set to desktop to the only option listed in the dropdown menu "into same directory as archive". With that setting I unzipped a file and it stayed on the desktop. After that I set it back to "Desktop" and now everything is back to how it was before.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2019 8:28 AM in response to commanderclif_me

Welp, just fixed my own problem so posting the fix just in case anyone comes along with same issue. In Archive Utility I changed "Save expanded files" from how I had it set to desktop to the only option listed in the dropdown menu "into same directory as archive". With that setting I unzipped a file and it stayed on the desktop. After that I set it back to "Desktop" and now everything is back to how it was before.

Unzipping files on desktop move to download folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.