You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can you restore normal icons?

After installing mac OS Catalina many folder icons (the standard icons) have changed and now they look different (like file icons). How can you restore normal icons?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 9:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2019 8:48 AM

I had this problem as well. I don't know a way to globally fix it.

It is a royal pain to fix all of them, but you can restore the folder icon for each individual folder easily:

1) select a folder with a "good" icon

2) "get info" (Command-I) on the folder

3) click on the folder icon in the upper left corner and copy it (Command-C)

4) Select a folder with a "bad" icon and "get info"

5) click on the folder icon in the upper left corner and paste in the proper icon (Command-P)

This will restore the icon for that folder. You an also use this to paste any image you want to use for the folder.

14 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 13, 2019 8:48 AM in response to claud bohm

I had this problem as well. I don't know a way to globally fix it.

It is a royal pain to fix all of them, but you can restore the folder icon for each individual folder easily:

1) select a folder with a "good" icon

2) "get info" (Command-I) on the folder

3) click on the folder icon in the upper left corner and copy it (Command-C)

4) Select a folder with a "bad" icon and "get info"

5) click on the folder icon in the upper left corner and paste in the proper icon (Command-P)

This will restore the icon for that folder. You an also use this to paste any image you want to use for the folder.

Oct 12, 2019 11:26 AM in response to claud bohm

Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache,  etc.  You can login and test. Reboot as normal and test.

In some instances clearing caches may be enough to restore your system icons.

Oct 12, 2019 6:34 PM in response to claud bohm

Same with me. I updated a clone of my startup drive that is on an external ssd first. About a third of the folders in the documents folder had a generic file icon instead of the normal folder icon. They seemed to be older folders. When I booted from the external drive, the same folders on the internal drive also showed the file icon. I decided to go ahead and update the internal drive to Catalina and those folders again had the file icon. I ended up creating new folders with the same names, moving the contents and replacing the now empty folders. It took a while, and I probably missed some deeply buried folders, but it made me crazy.

Oct 19, 2019 7:03 AM in response to ROWRBAZZLE!

Please, what do these commands mean and what effect do they produce?

I found these informations but for me they are incomprehensible:

xattr

Display and manipulate extended attributes of one or more files, including directories and symbolic links.

-d

Delete the given attribute.

-r

If a file argument is a directory, act as if the entire contents of the directory recursively were also specified (so that every file in the directory tree is acted upon).

com.apple.FinderInfo

Stores legacy ‘Finder Info’ and additional information for the Finder

<folder name>

???

Oct 22, 2019 3:56 PM in response to ROWRBAZZLE!

WARNING: OK so I did this and it fixed the problem. It complained about a few files not having Permission which I ignored. On finishing though when delving through my folders I noticed a few aliases to folders in shared Dropbox folders were no longer aliases. Ouch. I tested this on a single folder with an alias in it and it turned the alias into an ordinary file. Luckily I have only a dozen or so of these which need fixing. Just have to remember where they pointed to !

How can you restore normal icons?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.