Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview problems in Catalina

Whenever I look up a word inside a pdf with Preview, the Text Selection option stops working. I have to close the app, reopen and that's the only way I've found to have the cursor enable to text section option. Looking up something by typing in the Search field, disables practically every text editing/selection option.

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 12:18 PM

I have this issue as well. So i searched for possible solutions since 2010 to no avail.

These are the solutions (that I found) that were previously given to people that had similar problems:

(it seemed like they worked for the ones in those threads)

• Rebuilding spotlight index, by putting Macintosh into spotlight>privacy>stop from searching and then deleting it from the list.
  • Spotlight>Search Results : select PDF Documents
  • General>highlight colour (change it)
  • In the Preview app from the "view"-tab choose "table of contents" instead of "thumbnails"
  • select File->Export as PDF - reopen saved file

Just to add that my preview worked fine before I updated to Catalina, but now i have the exact same issue as "WilliamK_1".

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2019 12:18 PM in response to WilliamK_1

I have this issue as well. So i searched for possible solutions since 2010 to no avail.

These are the solutions (that I found) that were previously given to people that had similar problems:

(it seemed like they worked for the ones in those threads)

• Rebuilding spotlight index, by putting Macintosh into spotlight>privacy>stop from searching and then deleting it from the list.
  • Spotlight>Search Results : select PDF Documents
  • General>highlight colour (change it)
  • In the Preview app from the "view"-tab choose "table of contents" instead of "thumbnails"
  • select File->Export as PDF - reopen saved file

Just to add that my preview worked fine before I updated to Catalina, but now i have the exact same issue as "WilliamK_1".

Nov 17, 2019 6:08 AM in response to JUHKU

it looks like we're the only ones who use Preview, or no one else is having issues, JUHKU!

I had hoped that the latest update would solve this problem, but I feel like it's actually worse. Highlighting PDFs creates an issue too!

I can highlight text, one the first attempt, but then cursor is no longer enabled for highlighting

Preview problems in Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.