Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: macOS Catalina keeps verifying xcode at startup

Hello,

since I have installed macOS Catalina, every startup is extremely slow since it keeps verifying apps it has already verified (such as xcode).

Any idea on why this may be happening?

Thanks

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Oct 30, 2019 5:39 PM in response to Arshes In response to Arshes

Here is the temporary fix:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250731084

"To turn of SIP, first you have to start your mac in recovery mode.

Then open the terminal and type

csrutil status

And if it confirms you that SIP is currently enabled on your system enter the command

csrutil disable

Restart and check if the problem persists.

Please do not forget to reenable SIP after apple has solved this issue in the next operation system update (hopefully) :)"

Dec 5, 2019 4:54 AM in response to Arshes In response to Arshes

I could not agree more with you, Arshes, that disabling System Integrity Protection is not a good idea, but nothing else works at the moment and unfortunately Apple does not care less about users like us. I am sure a future update will solve the problem as it existed with Mojave at one point and was fixed with an update. There is a workaround, but it is a pain in the neck. After you start your Mac and before opening any apps you can move Xcode to another folder (with holding down the [command] key and dragging) and then moving it back to the Applications folder. It somehow bypasses the verification and your Mac is going to be working as usual with SIP until a restart.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Oct 16, 2019 7:23 AM in response to Arshes In response to Arshes

Same here, talked to Apple support Portugal, and they have no clue. They suggested a safe boot. I did it. All the same again, even in safe boot.

Already did the usual stuff. Reinstall Xcode, from store and from xip file. Nothing works. For now my solution is to leave my iMac in sleep mode. I can't turn it off, or else it will take like an hour to become ready. It's not 4 minutes like you.

Catalina does the "Verifying Xcode", "Verifying ios10.3.simruntime", "Verifying ios11.2.simruntime" and so on... it takes about one hour. It's so frustrating.

Anyone with a solution?

Regards,

Nuno Simões

Oct 16, 2019 7:23 AM

Reply Helpful

Oct 30, 2019 4:29 AM in response to Arshes In response to Arshes

Same here. Called Apple support which was waste of time. The guy was clueless. He had me reinstall the operating system, something that took two days as my computer kept going to sleep before completing the download and had to restart the download from the beginning each time. For me, the Xcode being verified "forever" and slowing my computer to a crawl started after the first Catalina update. My computer was running full speed with the original Catalina install. Sending Xcode to Trash restores snappiness and speed. I can then reinstall Xcode and the computer runs full speed until restart, which starts the infinite Xcode verification process. I have another Apple, but a with a solid state drive and that one does not experience the slow down. I am so fed up with Apple releasing crappy code. There is no reason a machine with i7, 16Gb of RAM and 1 Tb hard drive should not handle any Mac operating system. Very frustrating...

Oct 30, 2019 4:29 AM

Reply Helpful

Oct 30, 2019 5:39 PM in response to Arshes In response to Arshes

Here is the temporary fix:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250731084

csrutil status

And if it confirms you that SIP is currently enabled on your system enter the command

csrutil disable

Please do not forget to reenable SIP after apple has solved this issue in the next operation system update (hopefully) :)"

Oct 30, 2019 5:39 PM

Reply Helpful (2)

Nov 19, 2019 11:45 PM in response to BLENRYBLENKENSTEIN In response to BLENRYBLENKENSTEIN

I did use time machine, yes. But note, it was a bit of rough sailing for me. The good news is, I got everything restored (eventually) with time machine, although I am having to reinstall apps and reconfigure a few settings here and there which takes time. But all my user data did come back.

At first though, I thought somehow I had wiped out/accidentally reformatted my time capsule. The reason being, partway through the time machine restore process, it failed, then when I rebooted and tried again in recovery mode, it didn't seem like it was showing anything on the time capsule to recover from. I eventually did a clean reinstall of Mojave (Made a bootable USB OS image.. although I actually has to start with High Sierra first and then upgrade, since the only Macs I have in the house are the 2011 variety that can't download Mojave).

Anyway, once I was back to clean Mojave and tried Migration assistant and still couldn't see anything on the time capsule, I just mounted the time capsule so I could see the data on it, and I noticed the backup had an extension .backupbundle instead of .sparsebundle. Renaming it back to .sparsebundle and retrying migration assistant did the trick:

https://www.macworld.com/article/3445481/can-t-find-your-time-machine-backup-after-upgrading-to-catalina-look-for-a-backupbundle.html

Nov 19, 2019 11:45 PM

Reply Helpful

Dec 3, 2019 2:31 AM in response to Arshes In response to Arshes

Arshes .... Are you still stuck? The solution above worked for me, instantly.

csrutil status

csrutil disable

Dec 3, 2019 2:31 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Arshes

Question: macOS Catalina keeps verifying xcode at startup