Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad update

I have an iPad 8. Been advised by friends not to update to 12.4.2, “older iPads can’t handle it”. Is this accurate?

Posted on Oct 13, 2019 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2019 10:04 AM

You have an iPad Air first generation of the Air models. It is eligible to run iOS 12.4.2. I would say that millions of people are running iOS 12.4.2 on their Air's without issue. I cannot guarantee you won't have an issue though as there are some who do have issues. The processor in the first Air is a slower processor than the current iPad's and the ram is also low. What you might see is some slowness if you update, especially if you are running low on memory on a 32GB device such as yours.

You might want to give thought to upgrading your iPad after all these years. The new devices are 64 bit and the features available in the newer devices are amazing.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2019 10:04 AM in response to 1knabgip

You have an iPad Air first generation of the Air models. It is eligible to run iOS 12.4.2. I would say that millions of people are running iOS 12.4.2 on their Air's without issue. I cannot guarantee you won't have an issue though as there are some who do have issues. The processor in the first Air is a slower processor than the current iPad's and the ram is also low. What you might see is some slowness if you update, especially if you are running low on memory on a 32GB device such as yours.

You might want to give thought to upgrading your iPad after all these years. The new devices are 64 bit and the features available in the newer devices are amazing.

iPad update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.