Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music App and Memory Use in Catalina

I'm having serious issues with the Music app in Catalina. Its memory usage keeps growing until, at about 190 GB (yes, GB!) my system crashes.

Here's a screenshot of memory usage by the Music app after 30 minutes. This will double after an hour, then I have to exit the Music app and open it again otherwise it will keep increasing memory usage until my system slows to a crawl and I have to hard-boot.

Anyone else experiencing similar issues? Is there a way to reinstall just this app to see if that fixes things? Can someone recommend an alternative music player to use in the interim? I want to stick with Music if possible because my phone syncs my most played songs and I like that feature.

Posted on Oct 13, 2019 10:16 AM

4 replies

Oct 23, 2019 1:36 AM in response to babychaos

OK, I might have found a solution to this problem. At least it doesn't occur on my Mac since.

I suppose everyone with this problem has his or her iTunes Library on an external volume. Mine is on a JetDrive SD card in my MBP late 2013.

I noticed that the new 'Music' app likes to use a library that has the word 'music' in its name.

So what I did was:

• open the preferences in the new Music app
  • choose the tab called 'Files'
  • press the 'Change...' button
  • point the app to the location of the desired library (on my external volume).

And that's all there was to it.

Hope this works for you too.

Oct 17, 2019 4:55 AM in response to boaster_11

Same problem over here. Systems keeps slowing down as long as the Music app is open (even when it is not playing anything), until it completely crashes. The memory usage of Music app is exploding (100GB and more) and I can see the total number of files in cache increase rapidly.

My music library is on an external volume, and I have know somebody else with the same problem has his library on an external drive too. Maybe that's where things go wrong?

Music App and Memory Use in Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.