Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Toast DVD compatible with Catalina?

Have been using Toast DVD (V2.4.1) for over a year. Since upgrading to Catalina it no longer works. Keep getting an error message that "Toast DVD quit unexpectedly". Have contacted Roxio support several times and they seem unable (or unwilling) to answer this question. They have promised to get back to me with a solution but there has been no response. Any help will be much appreciated.

Posted on Oct 13, 2019 10:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 8:59 AM

Toast 18 Pro is not compatible with Catalina 10.15.1 based on many attempts to get it to work, plus working with Corel Tech Support. It often crashes, and when it stays up and running I have trouble accessing the Media. When in Media it finds my old iPhoto Library, but can’t find my Photo Library, even though it is located in the default Photo folder determined by Apple.

I quit working with Tech Support when they wanted me to take screen shots of the Media screen showing them that the Photo Library that I said did not appear, actually did not appear. Lol

I’m waiting for Catalina update 10.15.2, in hopes that it fixes some of the problems, since the Catalina release was one of the worst I have ever dealt with. That is another story.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2019 8:59 AM in response to Bobby-Beeb

Toast 18 Pro is not compatible with Catalina 10.15.1 based on many attempts to get it to work, plus working with Corel Tech Support. It often crashes, and when it stays up and running I have trouble accessing the Media. When in Media it finds my old iPhoto Library, but can’t find my Photo Library, even though it is located in the default Photo folder determined by Apple.

I quit working with Tech Support when they wanted me to take screen shots of the Media screen showing them that the Photo Library that I said did not appear, actually did not appear. Lol

I’m waiting for Catalina update 10.15.2, in hopes that it fixes some of the problems, since the Catalina release was one of the worst I have ever dealt with. That is another story.

Nov 26, 2019 11:46 AM in response to verlinb

This is the latest from Corel on Toast 18 Pro:

This is a known issue and has already been reported to Engineering.

Toast is unable to properly detect the file size of a ProRes MOV file. Both 4444 and 422 ProRes mov video files (APCO, APCN, APCH) have been tested so far, all give the same issue. When a ProRes mov file is added to either a DVD or Blu-ray video disc project in Toast, the file size indicated at the bottom of the window will show 904 KB. If you proceed to burn the project, it will state "There is nothing to record. Please add some data, then try this again."

On some occasions the same ProRes video file will show a blown out value, such as several hundred GB, which will not fit in any single or dual layer BD-R disc. In this case, the message would be "There's not enough free space on this disc: XXX.XX GB are needed, XX.XX GB are available."

File size, resolution, bitrate, frame rate of the ProRes video does not affect the issue. Adjusting the bitrate values in the Custom Encode window does not affect it either. MPEG-2 and MP4/AVC/H.264 video files are NOT affected by this issue. 

Workaround:

The workaround is to convert the ProRes video file to H.264 using Toast 18's Convert feature.

So much for the main DVD authoring system for iMac!!!

Nov 30, 2019 6:04 AM in response to RJ1316

I also having problems since updating to Catalina . contacted apple support that were very helpful and trie for some time to correct the problem of it closing unexpectedly . in the end they suggested l contact roxio my self . Which l did and as you say they did not help at all. And yes they didn't seem to care. so l am stuck with what to do next

Dec 1, 2019 11:52 AM in response to Auders22

Thank you Auders22. I had pretty much the same experience. My solution was to purchase Wondershare DVD Creatort. It works well but lacks some of the features that the Roxio products had. But seeing that the Roxio products don’t work at all with Catalina (despite what they advertise) Wondershare is an improvement. Thanks again.

Is Toast DVD compatible with Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.