Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two hard drives after restoring from Time Machine; now I can't back up

I upgraded to Catalina and it was so slow that I decided to restore from a Time Machine backup from the day before the upgrade.

The first time I tried to restore I got an error. The second time I tried to restore, two Macintosh Hard Drives were available to choose from to restore the backup. I chose one and the restore worked fine.

Except now I have two "Macintosh HD" (see photos). Time Machine can't backup because "two of the disks to back up have the same name."

I did not have a partitioned HD before the restore and I'd like to combine them back into the same HD. Question is, can I just delete the second HD by clicking the "-" button? Will that cause me any problems or delete any data that isn't on the other drive?

FYI here is the system information:

iMac Pro

Posted on Oct 13, 2019 11:11 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Oct 31, 2019 4:20 AM in response to sesquiped

How did you get on did deleting did it cause problems?

I have the same problem but my Mac HD is reporting 2 different used sizes where yours is the same used.

I have the same problem with time machine now not backing up because 2 mac hd have the same name.

I also had same problem with first restore not working but only one mac hd to choose from where you had 2.

Oct 31, 2019 4:56 AM in response to ZiggyM1

Fixed

I have done the same deleted the smaller (used) Macintosh HD volume as the larger one had the - ghosted (in disk utility) so I guessed and took a chance and deleted (-) the smaller now time machine works again.

Just to let people know I upgraded to Catalina because a couple of months ago I had seen that my MacBook was compatible with the new Sidecar function. That wasn't the case and a lot of my software was also not working anymore.

This was the main reason for the upgrade so I could use my iPad Pro and pencil with CS6 can't see Adobe updating CS6 as they want us to move over to subscription based creative cloud.

I guess it's Apples way of getting us to finally upgrade the older Mac's.

Two hard drives after restoring from Time Machine; now I can't back up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.