Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

catalina photos - sort by Filename?

Is there a way to sort Photos and Albums in Filename sequence? Now it looks like that option was removed? Title is not the same as Filename.

Posted on Oct 13, 2019 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2019 3:09 PM

You can run this AppleScript to use the file name as the title and then see if the sort works: Batch Changing the Titles to the Filenames with Extension (Dec 19,2018.

Or, if you don't want the extension use this script: Changing the Title to the Filename without Extension.

The scripst compiled as applications can be downloaded from this tutorial site:  P01 - Applescripts from Photos’ User Tips Compiled as Applications

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2019 3:09 PM in response to Mike Donscheski

You can run this AppleScript to use the file name as the title and then see if the sort works: Batch Changing the Titles to the Filenames with Extension (Dec 19,2018.

Or, if you don't want the extension use this script: Changing the Title to the Filename without Extension.

The scripst compiled as applications can be downloaded from this tutorial site:  P01 - Applescripts from Photos’ User Tips Compiled as Applications

Oct 13, 2019 2:03 PM in response to léonie

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case for me. I manually checked to see if any of the pics in this album had a Title specified. None did. As you can see by the Filename displayed, they're not in alphabetical order. I manually looked at every photo, as you also cannot display the Date, and they are in Date sequence. Any thoughts?

Oct 13, 2019 1:45 PM in response to Mike Donscheski

If a photo does not have a filename, Photos in Catalina will show the filename below the thumbnails, when you view an album or smart album. The album will be sorted by the filenames with the sort option "Title", if there is no title.

To see the titles or filenames below the thumbnails use the command "View > Metadata > Title". This does currently not work in All Photos, but in albums, Recents, Imports, the Media albums.

Oct 14, 2019 2:46 PM in response to Old Toad

OT, thanks! The app "Batch Change File Name to Title wo Extension" worked like a charm. So sad @Apple that we need to jump through this hoop, especially since the sort feature was present in the prior Photos version.

OT, I tried downloading the "07 - Batch Change Titles to the File Name", but it seemed to link to "24 - Find Photos on a specific date".

Thanks!

catalina photos - sort by Filename?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.