Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create a Scrolling Table?

I'm pretty new to Numbers.

What I want to do is make a multi-table sheet more compact by shrinking the tables. What happens when I do this is that the cells themselves shrink, making them unreadable. I want the table to scroll. For example:

I have a 15-row table, but I only want it to display 5 rows at a given time. The other 10 rows should be accessible by using a vertical scroll bar (a horizontal bar would be nice, too).

Does anyone know of a way to do this?

2006 MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.4), iWork '09

Posted on Jul 15, 2010 12:55 PM

4 replies

Jul 15, 2010 2:39 PM in response to NickKoala

There are no table scroll bars so you cannot do what you are asking. You can select the table and drag it to be smaller, which is what it sounds like you are doing. You can go to print view and change the content size to make the table so it fits on a single page for printing, but it does not make it more compact on your screen when you go back to non-print view.

Jul 15, 2010 3:23 PM in response to NickKoala

Nick,

I'm not sure what you are looking for that doesn't already exist. You can change the view zoom to make the shrunken tables viewable again, and you will automatically get scroll bars for the sheet you are viewing. You won't get individual table scroll bars, but I don't see where that would be a problem. Perhaps you can elaborate on why that wouldn't be sufficient.

Jerry

Jul 15, 2010 3:36 PM in response to NickKoala

I'm creating a comprehensive administrative data sheet for the personnel in my office. It's going to include:

1. A contact roster
2. Upcoming Events
3. A Vacation Tracker
4. A task tracker
5. And another different task tracker

I figure I can either arrange each on a different sheet (not preferred), or I can put it all on one sheet. Having everything consolidated on one sheet would be lovely IF it were all viewable in a neat little 1-page configuration (take the "Event Planner" template as an example). If, however, the individual tables have to be viewed as wholes, then it's a whole lot of scrolling that I don't want my users to have to deal with.

I should mention that this is going to be a publicly viewable and dynamically updated document that isn't intended to ever be printed.

Given your comments, it doesn't sound like I can do what I want to do, and that's making me a little sad.

Thanks for your comments, and if my elaboration helped to key you in on something that IS possible, please enlighten me.

Nick

Jul 15, 2010 6:02 PM in response to NickKoala

Nick,

Numbers is great at creating a document consisting of data tables, charts and graphics. Then you generally print it, either to paper or PDF. It's not so great as a presentation tool for public viewing where the public would be expected to control the viewing. If all your office people are regular Numbers users, you might get away with it. Otherwise, I'd take another route if I were you.

Jerry

Create a Scrolling Table?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.