Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download MacOS catalina and it has been "setting up my computer for 2 hours" what should I do?

After downloading MacOS Catalina my computer is stuck on "setting nap my computer" for 2 hours. What should I do?

Posted on Oct 13, 2019 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2019 6:34 PM

That's a scary feeling; it happened to me also. You might want to give it another hour or so - just to ensure that its really stuck. Hopefully you have a backup in case things go bad. What I did when this happened, was to force a restart of my mac. My intention was to restore if things were really messy. But actually the restart went fine; with Catalina showing up as if all was well. I believe some setup things might have left undone - though that's unclear. I've had a minor issue with some anti-virus software that I was able to resolve easily. But otherwise things look fine. It seemed as if the setup completed but could not exit entirely. (?)

I made sure that I was logged into icloud, since that's a bit more important w this release. But everywhere else I looked was OK, and everything that i normally use has worked fine - with a few minor exceptions.

Again, I had a backup in case everything went south. Without a backup cancelling is a lot more scary. But after another couple of hours I'm not sure what choice you have.

Good Luck.

rlc

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2019 6:34 PM in response to janefrom san marcos

That's a scary feeling; it happened to me also. You might want to give it another hour or so - just to ensure that its really stuck. Hopefully you have a backup in case things go bad. What I did when this happened, was to force a restart of my mac. My intention was to restore if things were really messy. But actually the restart went fine; with Catalina showing up as if all was well. I believe some setup things might have left undone - though that's unclear. I've had a minor issue with some anti-virus software that I was able to resolve easily. But otherwise things look fine. It seemed as if the setup completed but could not exit entirely. (?)

I made sure that I was logged into icloud, since that's a bit more important w this release. But everywhere else I looked was OK, and everything that i normally use has worked fine - with a few minor exceptions.

Again, I had a backup in case everything went south. Without a backup cancelling is a lot more scary. But after another couple of hours I'm not sure what choice you have.

Good Luck.

rlc

Download MacOS catalina and it has been "setting up my computer for 2 hours" what should I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.