Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID unknown sign in error

Ever since I've updated to macOS Catalina my MacBook Air requests a sign into Apple ID to update my Apple ID however it doesn't work and an "unknown error occurred" message pops up. I know my password is correct and have tried signing out and restarting my laptop but nothing seems to work. My MacBook Air is late 2015 model and should be compatible with the new update so I am unsure how to fix/ why this is happening?

MacBook

Posted on Oct 13, 2019 10:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2019 5:03 PM

Hi sophwebster,

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities. From my understanding, you’re seeing an “unknown error occurred” after entering your Apple ID and password in macOS Catalina. I also see that restarting your Mac, and signing out, then into your Apple ID didn’t resolve the issue. I’d love to help get you pointed in the right direction. 

First, double-check your Apple ID and password on the Apple ID account page: Apple ID

Next, I recommend booting your Mac into safe mode, then see if the issue persists: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If you’re still having trouble, contact Apple Support for further assistance: Get Support

I hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2019 5:03 PM in response to sophwebster

Hi sophwebster,

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities. From my understanding, you’re seeing an “unknown error occurred” after entering your Apple ID and password in macOS Catalina. I also see that restarting your Mac, and signing out, then into your Apple ID didn’t resolve the issue. I’d love to help get you pointed in the right direction. 

First, double-check your Apple ID and password on the Apple ID account page: Apple ID

Next, I recommend booting your Mac into safe mode, then see if the issue persists: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If you’re still having trouble, contact Apple Support for further assistance: Get Support

I hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Apple ID unknown sign in error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.