Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to open DMS file extension on Mac

Anyone knows what application i can download or any online assistance to open .dms files on mac?

Mac Pro

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 2:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2019 3:23 AM

Hey, I too have faced your problem today when the Lab where I gave my blood for testing sent me the reports as a .dms file! Other applications such as Unarchiver, MaxUAE suggests in other like posts were not able to open the file. I then did this: clicked on the link to the reports in MAIL! The link opened the document in Safari and I was able to view the results only but there seem to be no provision for me to save the reports to my computer. Hope this helps.

Regards

Dr. Somanna

PS

Soon after writing the above, I accessed the document in Safari and clicked on the share ikon at the top right and chose to share the document to my NOTES. When I opened my NOTES, the document was not there but only the link was there. Clicking on the link led to the opening of the document in Safari.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2019 3:23 AM in response to toxicmich

Hey, I too have faced your problem today when the Lab where I gave my blood for testing sent me the reports as a .dms file! Other applications such as Unarchiver, MaxUAE suggests in other like posts were not able to open the file. I then did this: clicked on the link to the reports in MAIL! The link opened the document in Safari and I was able to view the results only but there seem to be no provision for me to save the reports to my computer. Hope this helps.

Regards

Dr. Somanna

PS

Soon after writing the above, I accessed the document in Safari and clicked on the share ikon at the top right and chose to share the document to my NOTES. When I opened my NOTES, the document was not there but only the link was there. Clicking on the link led to the opening of the document in Safari.

Nov 2, 2019 4:04 AM in response to toxicmich

First, try opening in Text Edit, any plain text in the file will show up and may give you some guidance

Next, contact the originator of the file to find out what the file type should be so you can change the file extension as follows:

I have this note from my filetype data base:

A file with a .dms extension is a file that has been downloaded and renamed by the Apple Safari web browser or the Apple Mail email client. It contains the contents of a file that did not have a file extension or was erroneously renamed when downloaded. The .dms extension is a result of a bug in Safari and Mail.

For example, sample.pdf may become sample.dms or sample.pdf.dms when downloaded with Safari or Mail.

To open a DMS file, rename the .dms extension with the appropriate extension for the file type. For example, if you know you downloaded an .XLSX file that was renamed with the .dms extension, click on the extension to highlight it and change it back to .xlsx. Then, you can open the file with a program that supports XLSX files.

How to open DMS file extension on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.