Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost files after macOS Catalina upgrade

I upgraded to Catalina and have lost 12 folders/files from my HD. How do I get these back?

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 5:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2020 7:12 AM

I realize this isn't your fault - but this is the worst and absolutely idiotic feature. Whomever thought of NOT allowing users to keep/create folders on their own hard drives should be whacked over the head with a rolled-up newspaper.

I work with gigantic files and this has broken EVERY link, it will take hours to re-point all programs to the files in their new locations.

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2020 7:12 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I realize this isn't your fault - but this is the worst and absolutely idiotic feature. Whomever thought of NOT allowing users to keep/create folders on their own hard drives should be whacked over the head with a rolled-up newspaper.

I work with gigantic files and this has broken EVERY link, it will take hours to re-point all programs to the files in their new locations.

Dec 19, 2019 3:44 PM in response to Oldedit

Catalina has been more trouble than it's worth for those of us who don't use any of its new features. I update routinely when new updates are announced because I want any security updates.

I can't save files in Text anymore because I don't have permission. The alert never says how to fix this. I've tried every trick suggested in the help service. None work, and I own and administer our Mac as I have for more than 30 years.

There are major problems at Apple, which is looking more like Microsoft every day.

Feb 13, 2020 7:52 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Well, I've had a folder system on first floppies and later hard drives for 37 years and it has always worked great, until today. You may think users having their own folders is a bad idea, but everyone uses their computer in a different way and should have the right to do so. Users don't have to think every idea a programmer gets is good, and system developers need to take users' wishes into account - or they won't have any. :-)

Dec 12, 2019 8:28 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I also lost my documents with the "Upgrade" (very poor name for it), and not only can I not open my documents (which I can see), but I can't save any new documents. Since no instructions were offered with the "Upgrade" about such issues it makes me think something has gone wrong. Why would Apple choose to make it impossible to find or create any documents ? Is there a repair that can be done or a way to go back to the previous OS?

Dec 12, 2019 4:45 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

The documents are Word and Excel files. The documents are on my iCloud storage, in my Documents folder, my Downloads folder and they all fail to open. The files are visible, but when I try to open them nothing happens. No error message, just a little flicker of the file name. I then created a new Word file and tried to save it, but it failed to save to any of the locations. I was able to "Rename file", but when it fails to save it reverts back to the default name of the first line of the document.

There is also a file icon on my desktop that is labeled "Relocated files" that when I click on it I get a message that it could not be opened. After a few dozen tries with clicking, double clicking and right clicking and selecting "Open" all resulting in the same thing, I tried the option to "Move to trash" and nothing happens. The icon doesn't change and nothing shows in the trash.

Dec 12, 2019 11:26 PM in response to Coraldoc09

Try restarting in Safe Mode. Can you open the documents in Safe Mode?

If you can open in Safe Mode,

Restart normally again. See if it got fixed. If not, please run the diagnostic tool Etrecheck and post its full report here.

If you can't open the documents even in Safe Mode, there is either a problem with the drive or with permissions.

Select the Documents folder, press Command-I and post a screenshot of the permissions part at the bottom of the window.

Lost files after macOS Catalina upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.